Portable microphone + amplifier ?

canakas

Dear all,

I have a friend who is a linguist and wants to record people talking, but her laptop(a dell...) does not power the microphone input so I figured what'd be good for her was a portable mic amp so that she has full control over volume and such...

Does anyone have a clue what she'd want to buy for this application?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

cheers all :)

Canakas

There are a bunch of battery powered mics available, and a few bater operated preamps. If she is goig directly into a laptop stock soundcard input, have her get a batter powered pre amp.
There are a coupe on this page, but you can find one cheaper as well if you look aroudn http://www.micsupply.com/preamps.htm
Daav

Thanks a bunch guys for the suggestions.

She does not need phantom, and I think shes in the marked for something inexpensive...

so I think your ideas of either a battery powered amplifier and say one of those small stereo mics for minidiscs is a good way to handle her needs...

I looked at the samson usb model and I think its a it over her price range...

The idea of something that looks like the neat little headphone amps running on 9V batteries would be perfect...

Her problem could possibly be solved with one of those mini usb soundcards, as one of those would probably power the mic input, dont you think?

thanks for your time people :D

-canakas

canakas said:
Dear all,

I have a friend who is a linguist and wants to record people talking, but her laptop(a dell...) does not power the microphone input so I figured what'd be good for her was a portable mic amp so that she has full control over volume and such...

Must... resist... crude... pun....

She might consider an iPod or something. I mean, it costs more than you're talking about, but it might be something she'd want to have anyway. The point is that you can get an iPod-specific mic for the thing or get a Belkin iPod microphone adapter and a standard mic like for a minidisc player. Either way, you can use it to record and easily pull the contents into your computer. The best part is she can use it for stuff other than just recording people talking....

The real question is whether or not she is cunning.

Dang it!

Back