Portable Digital Recorder

Brahmb

Hi. I'm looking to buy a portable digital recording studio for my classroom at school. I need to have the ability to record up to four tracks at a time, but have the capability to record 12 tracks all together. I also need to download the final tracks into ProTools LE for editing. I prefer to do this digitally. Now's the kicker. Any suggestions for a machine under $750?

Thanks.

I think the Fostex VF-160 fits the bill perfectly but its a little over the budjet at around $800 w/o the internal CD burner. The built in ADAT interface is something that other machines in that price range doesn't have and which really sets it apart from the competition when it comes to connectivity and expandability. It's childs play to transfer tracks between other equipment and the VF thru ADAT lightpipe and it even allows you to send signals straight from VF's 8 analog inputs to computer via the lightpipe so you don't necessarily have to record it first on to the recorder and then use some clumsy method like exporting to wav files on external zip drive in order to download stuff to computer. The older model VF-16 with the latest software versions has the same features w/o the internal CD burner option so it shouldn't be hard to find a second hand unit well below your price limit.

Check the specs here: http://www.fostex.com/Products/vf160.html

Thanks

Thanks for the info. It looks like a good deal. I was able to talk down Music123.com down from 899.99 to $836.00 no tax or shipping for a new VF160 WITH the CDR.

Maybe a mixer and an external CDRW would fit the bill.

An Alesis 16 track and a TASCAM CDRW-700 might be close to your budget if you got a good deal.

Back