Pops in tracks.

Brahmb

I asked this question in the Fostex forum, but then decided I might get a broader viewing/answer.

I recorded a practice CD with a Korg going directly to line 1 of the VF160, and an AT mic going into line 7 and then line 8 for vocals and backup. I then downloaded all the recordings via optical line to Protools LE for editing. I noticed several digital pops, not only in the vocals, but also in the piano. I was able to clean up the major pops easily enough, but under intense magnification, couldn't even locate some of the pops, even though I heard them. I didn't have nearly as much clipping during recording (once or twice per track) as I did pops (12-20). Were my levels too high anyway? I had to set the mics high because the singer wasn't strong, but that doesn't explain the piano pops.

Later.

Brahmb

It sounds to me like a clock problem. When you made the transfer the VF160 should've been the master and the computer the slave. Also check that the sampling rates are set the same on both units.

Slave and Master?

I didn't do any complicated timing or slave/master. I simply recorded the tracks from the VF160 to tracks in Protools through the optical lead. I hit play on the VF160 and record on the Protools. Is it a more complicated process? Is that why I'm getting pops? Both units were sampling at 44100.

Don't confuse word clock with SMPTE or MTC or some other form of time syncing. They are seperate issues. Anytime you have two pieces of gear connected together digitally, one piece must get it's word clock timing from the other. This has nothing to do with real time location. It has to do with the timing of the sampling rate (e.g. 44,100/sec.)

If each piece has a clock that is operating independently, they will start to drift apart, and the practical result is every so often you will hear a pop or click.

Make sure that the clocks on both devices are NOT set to INTERNAL. Only one should be internal (the master). What the other settings are called differs from device to device. Sometimes it will be called slave, or AES, or 44.1, or external, or various other possibilites.

Back