Pop Tune?!?!

Sounds great in my studio monitors but sounds pretty bassy in my headphones. Could be the headphones though.

Otherwise I like the song and think the rest of the mix sounds great. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people will chime in though.

Sounds very good. I think vocals can come up just a teenage c**t hair. The hi-hats in the verse can come down a bit too, they're almost as loud as the lead vocals in the verses, and possibly "over programmed". The accents are really loud and the beat in the verse sounds too programmed compared to the change when you go to a ride or open hi-hat. That part sounds natural. The verses sound very 80's, drum-wise.

Song's a bit short, no? Seems like it can use more of a musical break or something.

But the actual sound quality is very good in general. :cool:

Really like what you have going here.

+1 to the low end. However it is on my main monitors that I hear the bass guitar 'ringing' around 90 to 120Hz. It is messing with the clarity of the mix on my system. I personally would pull that down just a hair. The bass guitar seems to have a resonant frequency that jumps out on certain notes. If the slight cut does not help the issue, this might be one of the rare times I would pull out a 'maul' the band comp. It could just be the bass guitar itself.

Sounds very good. I think vocals can come up just a teenage c**t hair. The hi-hats in the verse can come down a bit too, they're almost as loud as the lead vocals in the verses, and possibly "over programmed". The accents are really loud and the beat in the verse sounds too programmed compared to the change when you go to a ride or open hi-hat. That part sounds natural. The verses sound very 80's, drum-wise.

Song's a bit short, no? Seems like it can use more of a musical break or something.

But the actual sound quality is very good in general. :cool:

Thanks man. Those are actually live drums, played by a human. Ha Yeah, short tune for sure.

Really like what you have going here.

+1 to the low end. However it is on my main monitors that I hear the bass guitar 'ringing' around 90 to 120Hz. It is messing with the clarity of the mix on my system. I personally would pull that down just a hair. The bass guitar seems to have a resonant frequency that jumps out on certain notes. If the slight cut does not help the issue, this might be one of the rare times I would pull out a 'maul' the band comp. It could just be the bass guitar itself.

Thanks so much for the listen and suggestions.

Thanks man. Those are actually live drums, played by a human. Ha Yeah, short tune for sure.
Really? well, you fooled me. You must be looping some parts or something, because those verses are way too identical all the way through. Anyway, the main thing is, it sounds great.

Really? well, you fooled me. You must be looping some parts or something, because those verses are way too identical all the way through. Anyway, the main thing is, it sounds great.

Yeah. real drummer, no looping. I thought he played it too simple, but he tracked it along with the bass to just the acoustic and the vocals.

Ha. I have no reason to lie about it. I would fully admit it. However, I will enjoy telling him that you couldn't believe he wasn't a drum machine. Thanks again for listening.

I never said you were lying. I said good job. If he takes being mistaken for a drum machine as a compliment, then everyone's happy. :)

Nice mix-you have a nice spectrum going on. I like the level of the bass but it seems to lack a little focus, if anything there's a mid high bump that makes the vocals and the guitar+(keys) pop out a bit much to me, though my receiver has changed after many years and i'm still getting used to its sound. Nice effects on the vocals with the regen effects and I like the sound as the song starts, like a whammy bar sound...I think they should be pleased with your recording and mix, sounds very professional to me.

Strat

Sounds good Elton. I noticed a loud cymbal sound right down the middle like the mic on the hi hat is too crisp. Check it right around 00:27 Mix sounds bassy on my cans too. The mix overall is great with nice separation and clarity.

The sounds really nice overall, but I agree that the bass has a rumbly sort of quality to it that is just a bit too strong. All else sounds fine to me as is. Good job.

Thank you everyone!! It was a vintage ampeg 8-10 with a 421 on it. At least that part of the bass was good. :)

Very polished sounding mix Elton. I much prefer the more alt country type stuff you work on, but this is clearly produced very well and sounds nice and full.

I thought the vocals could come up very, very slightly (not so much when they open out, but in the lower phrases) and the shakers sound a little too hard panned to my ears. It makes them sit outside the mix just a touch.

Back