Pop-punk band I'm finishing up recording.

geet73

OMG!
This band is a bunch of seniors in high school. They're called Banarang. Generic pop-punk. Any comments on the recording? It seems to me that it needs more in the midrange. More bite. My ears are also spent.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty damn good mixes. I like the snap of the snare. Sounds like the drummer had a good sounding prior to coming in. Can't really hear anything wrong with these other than the kick could use more high end to bring it out. Try a boost at 11k.

On "6"... Sounds good. If anything, I'd think the vocals could sit a little better to clear them up a bit on everything before about 1:19. Maybe EQ, or maybe bringing the electric down a tad would do the trick. My system is no benchmark or anything, but they just sound better to me from 1:19 and beyond.

Guitar
I would turn the rythm guitars a bit up, maybe give them a bit of clearness

Bas
Bass guitar could use a little definition can't really hear what he is playing.

Drums
The snare sounds fucking great :D

In general
You seem to have a little peaks that are really trowing the rms level down to the floor. Dynamics are good; but a -6db rms level with 1 peak @ 0db is really no use.
Try visually to look at each track and then limit it.

You have a result that could easily be turned up 6dB without any audible differences , imo !

Which equipement did you use?

Last edited:
Drums:
Kick - D112
Snare - Shure 55SH(The old school silver mic)
Toms - SM58s
OH - MXL 991
Ride - Audio Technia Pro-35x (Tried something different.)

Guitar was a Gibson SG>5150>Jackson cab>SM57. Bass was an Ibanez>Sansamp Bass Driver. Vocals were through a Studio Porjects B1. Preamps were a Behringer mixer. The snare and kick have a sample layered behind them through Drumagog, too.

This wasn't "mastered" yet. I just mixed it down so the band could hear it and figure out what they want done to it.

Thanks.

http://www.thepremier.outburst8.com/Junk/Bangarang%20-%2012.14.05(mastered)/5-2.mp3

Here's what is most likely the final product.

Back