pop filters

JahJahWarrior

Hey my first post,

I just ordered my first condenser a studio projects c1 for $165. I know I probably need a pop filter I just didn't have the money to order it with the mic. Are the more expensive ones really worth it or is it not much of a difference? What's the difference between the cloth, metal, and sometimes double filtered ones? Thanks, Joey

I for one can't hear the difference from the cloth vs. metal but, I can tell you that the very cheap one's will sag. Meaning they have a hard time holding themselves up. I like the idea of the metal ones because they're easier to clean.

Yes, you will almost certainly need a pop filter for your condenser mic. A pop filter keeps those nasty plosives from appearing on your recordings, but it also protects the microphone from burst of air, spit/moisture, etc. On a tight budget, you could get an embroidery hoop and some nylon stockings for just a couple of dollars and fashion your own pop filter. Attaching it to the mic stand will require some effort, but it should work o.k.

There is a tradeoff between preventing plosives and retaining the sound quality of the vocal performance. The nylon filters may absorb some of the higher frequencies, producing a more "muffled" sound. The metal filters are supposed to allow more of those frequencies to pass through, but they may have other problems (I found that air makes a "whistling" noise as it goes throught the holes of some metal filters).

Honestly, unless you have excellent ears and a pretty expensive recording/monitoring chain, you probably won't notice enough of a difference to justify the cost. Just get what you can afford (or make your own) and record. Your ears will tell you when you need/want something better.

I did one myself. Using a cooper wire hoop. I bought some acoustically "transparent" speaker cloth and stiched it to the hoop. Doesn't look that great, but it does work. Total cost, about $2 .
Cheers!

I went ahead and bought the $50.00 metal one from GC. I don't know why they have to cost so damn much, but like the old saying says"when you buy good tools, you only cry once".

I had trouble justifying the pop filter for my new ribbon mic.....

I figure if the darn thing can survive UPS shipping, then it must not be nearly as fragile as they say it is......

But then I bought the pop filter anyway..... the budget $20 dollar double layer one by Shure.

JahJahWarrior said:
How do you clean the cloth ones? Or do you just leave them be and get a new one until they turn green?

...Bredren...pass on the cloth and go for metal...washable and reversible for different sonic character...buy from this seller (excellent):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Projects...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
...use the "Make Offer" link and offer $15...he'll probably take it (he did for me)...very nice... pop-screen that usually goes for around $40...worth the bucks, trust me..and check my posting on this other thread for another cheap sound treatment idea:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=199010
...Raspect

If i had some extra money, i'd buy the sp cable, sp pop filter, and sp preamp. I have a sp c1 and i'd save some money buying the stuff at the prices he posted. Dang. I hate bills!!

i found an old TV antenna - you know the big hoop ones? - and a pair of tights. some creative use of scissors and sticky tape later, and my half-arsed job looked reasonably good. someone even told me that it looked like the real thing, but i just laughed at him :D

works fine for my needs, though a 'proper' one is most certainly top of the list... after a new pootah... :rolleyes:

Andy

Couple thoughts on upside down, right side up or sidway...it doesn't matter sound wise.

Many suggest that hanging them upside down takes the heat away from the microhpone element. Mostly a concern with tube types as they do make a bit of heat...some more than others.

With non tube units where the element end is bigger then the body, I like to hang them upright especially if they're mounted in a shock mount. In case the thing looses grip, it stops at the big end rather than falling down to the ground.

Where did you find the C1 for $165?

To pass along the little I know about pop filters,
I've heard that one studio switched all theres
out for Stedman metal ones without trying them
first and were disappointed. The reason was
that they were expensive and not very
effective at stopping the pops. I've also heard
that the Raxxess are of a real low build quality
to the point where folks who have gotten them
said it wasn't even worth the low price they
paid.
When I see studios on TV programs I often see
the Popless brand, which gives the option of
holding one, two, or even (I think) three separate
screens, so you can choose how much pop control
you need. (On TV you often see two at once.)
If I were getting one, I'd probably go
for the Popless. They come in 3.5" and 6" so
you can choose what you need. They also have a
special one for the RE20.

I just did a little bargaining to get the c1 that low. Basically I found an ebay dealer asked for the lowest price. Then tell Full Compass can you beat that, then finally go to sweetwater and say can I have your rockbottom price. I saved quite a bit, and this was the first time I ever bargained for anything. Also I was going to go for a metal pop filter but the last post worries me.

you could try some panty hose and a wire coat hanger ... did that once when i tore a big whole in a pop filter and needed a quick fix.... it worked but my band ragged on me so i bought a new one(cheap bastards i dont see them buying and recording crap :p )

Brackish said:
I've heard that one studio switched all theres
out for Stedman metal ones without trying them
first and were disappointed. The reason was
that they were expensive and not very
effective at stopping the pops

...expensive, yes...not very effective?...ri-di-cu-lous...Stedman's are well respected pro quality pop screens...all the other metal screens out there are based on the original Stedman design...I own a selection of both fabric and metal screens...the metal screens offer the best combination of "transparency" and "pop minimizing" capability...and many of the metal screens offer 2 different variations of sound response (including the SP version I listed above) depending on which side of the screen faces the vocalist...go metal...no worries!

JahJahWarrior said:
I just did a little bargaining to get the c1 that low. Basically I found an ebay dealer asked for the lowest price. Then tell Full Compass can you beat that, then finally go to sweetwater and say can I have your rockbottom price. I saved quite a bit, and this was the first time I ever bargained for anything. Also I was going to go for a metal pop filter but the last post worries me.

Thanks for the tip on bargaining. I've never
done that before.

Pop filters are so important. Nothing like ruining a great take with ".....the bombs bursting in air..." w/o a filter. I use a metal one from GC, I think it's by Groove Tubes, way overpriced but essential. The cheap ones have really a crappy arm that keeps dropping. Also if you have a monster mic make sure the arm is long & rigid enough to boom over around the mic. Metal is the way to go though.

I ran across a very rare pop filter. It came out
about a year ago and I think there's only
one distributor. What's rare about it is that
it is designed for small-diaphragm mikes
(aka pencil mikes). If anyone needs this
I could try to find it. They were around
$40 a piece.

riffy said:
Pop filters are so important. Nothing like ruining a great take with ".....the bombs bursting in air..." w/o a filter. I use a metal one from GC, I think it's by Groove Tubes, way overpriced but essential. The cheap ones have really a crappy arm that keeps dropping. Also if you have a monster mic make sure the arm is long & rigid enough to boom over around the mic. Metal is the way to go though.

Yep...its as bad as Spit Spraying Straight at your Stereo MicS

Back