Pop Filters... Metal vs Fabric

none make your voice clearer, they just stop pops and hisses, sometimes ya still need a de-esser or a compressor that you can fine tune

Big Kenny said:
none make your voice clearer, they just stop pops and hisses, sometimes ya still need a de-esser or a compressor that you can fine tune

Okay, so which would you suggest then?

I would suggest you try both. Some people think the metal filters have a clearer high-end, where the nylons may muffle a little of the upper frequencies. Personally, I've found the metal filters problematic on powerful singers because the breath sometimes makes a whistling noise as it goes through the metal mesh.

Fabric's always been good to me... never tried the metal ones, but I've never noticed a difference in sound between my mic with a pop filter and without.

get one of each. you should be able to get both for about $30-$40. If you're using any of the chinese mikes, try using both filters at the same time to kill some of that sizzle. :D

I've used both and personally I like the cloth one better. The metal one makes wind noises when someone blows hard through it which is very annoying at mixdown. The metal ones are easier to clean though and are more rugged then the cloth ones. Sometimes I use both when I need someone especially close to the mic (metal one behind the cloth one so that I don't get any wind hissing ---proper term? :D ). Anyways, I'd recommend the cloth if you only want one but both if you can afford it.

Good Luck!

-Lee

Back