Pop filter screen - can I make one

savageblues

Hello folks,

Well, I have ordered a MXL V67G from Samash. This is my first experience with a condenser mic.

I am thinking I probably need a pop-screen or filter, and I have read that you can use an embroidery ring and some panty hose. Can someone confirm this is a good idea?

So once I have this homebrew concocted, how do I fasten it to the mic stand? Anyone have any clip or articulating device ideas?

I dont have a shock mount either. Is this really going to be necessary? I am thinking maybe it is, given that I may use this mic in live settings where drums and bass are pounding the floor. Are shockmounts highly specific to each mic, or are there generic models that suit many condenser mics?

This site is really great. I have learned so much from reading everyones posts, and I am getting a real kick out of the home recording hobby (only a month into it). Perhaps the greatest are the best-value, whats good, whats crap recommendations from you guru's (hence my decision for the MXL V67G).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

hEY....

Go to a craft store, and get one of them wooden hoops that opens and closes.... (Women stretch out embroidered facbric with these things..

Use 2 layers of panty hose, and stretch them reasonbly but not to much as to make the holes too big......

I have no Idea how your going to mount it to the stand though.......

The storebought ones are only $19.99-$29.99 so you might want to check them out.... but I have seen studios use the hoop and hose method :D

Good Luck
BG

how about this olde favourite

wire coat hanger +pantyhose
duct tape (to "fasten it to the stand")

taa daa! The cheapest solution ever!

nP

The embroidery hoop method is by far the easiest and longest lasting.

You can mount it to a stand using a gooseneck and one of those super cheap "clamp" style microphone clips from radio shack. To attach it to the same stand as your microphone, there are little mic extentions that you you get get at a music store, and you just screw the gooseneck into one.

Of course you might just buy a pop filter for 20 bucks if you have to buy all that crap...but you can use the extention and gooseneck for other things.

Slackmaster 2000

P.S. you don't really need a pop filter with the V67 unless you're going to get right up and sing directly into the capsule (which doesn't necessarily sound good IMHO). Often times you'll be back far enough away from the mic that a pop filter isn't necessary.

To get closer, simply move the mic up so that your mouth is aiming at the *base* of the microphone. You can also flip the mic upside down and angle it slightly towards the floor, but such that the capsule is still above your mouth (kinda like you see sometimes in music videos). You can even aim your mouth a little bit off axis. Regardless, mic placement is pretty important, and I think you'll find that you won't want to sing directly into the capsule of the V67...but it all depends, so wait for the mic before throwing down for a filter.

Slackmaster 2000

*warning I'm just an amature*

Thanks Guys. I guess I should wait since it sounds like I may not really need one. Does that mean the V67 isn't as sensitive as other condenser designs? Its been a new battlefront lately with Gear Acquisition Syndrome (since entering the home recording hobby).

Our bass player singer barely even needs a mic/PA when we play. Seriously, its unbelievable. Im afraid he's gonna kill this mic when we record. HA!

I'm going to do some searching of previous posts on the shock-mount necessity question.

The V67 is a very sensitive mic. You just don't need a pop filter if you're going to sing directly into the capusle at close (reasonably) range. Wait till you get it and start using it, you'll know soon enough whether you need a screen.

You should definately use a shock mount. There are some mounts that are sort of generic, but there is no "standard."

Slackmaster 2000

Re: how about this olde favourite

nezpierce said:
wire coat hanger +pantyhose
duct tape (to "fasten it to the stand")

taa daa! The cheapest solution ever!

nP

Woohoo. Got several of these and use giant roach clips to attach them to the stands. LOL. Old habits never die.

"Nice mic...what the hell is that in front of it?"

;)

Slackmaster2K said:

You should definately use a shock mount. There are some mounts that are sort of generic, but there is no "standard."

Slackmaster 2000

You know, the best shock mount I have came with a Marshall 2001 I ordered. You never know...

I dont think the V67G comes with one unfortunately (tracking it via UPS now, cant wait!), although there is a clip of somekind I understand.

The MXL shockmount is like $45 at Samash, but I think its good for most of the MXL condenser mics. This seems a little dear, but what do I know.

philboyd studge said:
Sooner or later your gonna get tired of singing into a stocking though.

Thats what the "pro" versions are made of...

I have a "Popper Stopper" in my studio and it's Basically the same thing.....Pantyhose....

:)

Back