Pop - Admit it, you love it

This has turned into one of my favorite videos and it is not just the gals. A lot of it has to do with the work put into the performance by both the band and the gals. This can't be easy. They also make me laugh and put me in a good mood. Can't say that about a lot of music. Go ahead, make fun all you like, I am safe and sound with my big balls.

I always thought this was a very clever song.

This came on the radio one time while driving with the wife and I said how can anyone dislike this song and she replied, " I hate this song."
I had never watched this video before, it's great, makes me laugh and that is all I really want out of life anymore.

Last edited:
Hey DM60 now look WTF you've done!
Me thinks this is going to be another fun and informative thread!

Good job mang!

Hey DM60 now look WTF you've done!
Me thinks this is going to be another fun and informative thread!

Good job mang!
I have always loved good pop, I know many people think it is throw away, but really good pop is so much more. Now there are shit songs, true, but there are some real jewels out there and they shape us much more than we want to admit.

Case in point:

I have always loved good pop, I know many people think it is throw away, but really good pop is so much more. Now there are shit songs, true, but there are some real jewels out there and they shape us much more than we want to admit.

Case in point:

Great lead vocal, encapsulates the late 60's, early 70's feeling. His vocal made me think of Gary Pucket's work with The Union Gap - just great stuff.

Additional material :

I'd heard in an interview many years ago that Gary was pushed into going solo. His voice was expected to make that happen, but he sank. Seems their Producer at Columbia Records created a wedge between band members when there was disagreement about the direction their music should take. Anyway . . .

Last edited:
Over the years there have been a lot of pop songs that I really like but in the grand scheme of things the percentage of pop that I like is very small. What's interesting to me are people who know that I am a musician/songwriter ask me how many hits I've written. I generally respond by telling them that I don't write hits and I usually get a weird look.

@DM60 mentioned "Reflections Of My Life." That's a great tune. When that one comes up on my personal playlist I usually hit replay at least once.

Wow, that takes me back..........
As a kid, the Eurovision Song Contest was £(*&^%$ big shit in England. I watched it primarily because after it came the football on a Saturday night and the football always ran late because of it. But we got really competitive in our house and from '72 to '76, some of the finest pop songs of the 70s came through that contest. I thought Britain's entries in '72 {Beg, steal or borrow by the New Seekers} and '73 {Power to all our friends by Cliff Richard} were absolute knock-outs and it was sacrilege that they were beaten by such inferior efforts, although to be fair the '73 entry was a good song. Just not up, to the standard of Cliff's monster.
Speaking of monsters, there were some utterly insanely good songs in other years, ABBA's "Waterloo" was one of the most exuberant winners, if not the most exuberant song in the competition's history although 1975's winner, Teach-in's "Ding Dong" ran it close. It's such a great song. I liked the Shadows' UK entry that year too, "Let me be the one". It's the only Shadows song I've ever liked !
Anyway, in '76, I didn't particularly rate the Brotherhood of Man's effort, and I was quite surprised when it won. It got to no.1 in the charts {also some damned big, heavy shit in those days. Siblings fought fiercely over whose fave group couldn't make it to no.1} and the top 20 that I recorded on my cassette recorder on a C60, that I had for years after had them on it at no.1, so I got to really like the song. It wore me down through sheer repetitive charm.

I always thought this was a very clever song.

Clever ? It's heavy metal at its cleverest and most singable.
This came on the radio one time while driving with the wife and I said how can anyone dislike this song and she replied, " I hate this song."
Back in the summer of 1980 during my heavy rock discovery period, I'd bought "On your feet or on your knees" which was sheer balls blasted heavy metal rock. It wasn't particularly well recorded but I didn't notice that in those days and I don't care now, 43 years on. I love that album to the max. Then a couple of months later, after more albums coming my way, I saw and bought "Spectres." "Godzilla" is the opener, and I was salivating. I couldn't wait to sample the further heavy wares about to come my way..........and they never did ! The album just went downhill, and I was ever so disappointed. I tried for a year to love it, and I could barely like it. In the end, I liked 5 songs but abandoned it for 30+ years. I re-listened to it in the 21st century and found that I'd matured. I still didn't like half the album, but the 5 that I did like, I was able to appreciate on a deeper level.
Godzilla still gets me salivating though. It's heavy rock gold.
I have always loved good pop
I adore pop. There is absolutely no shame in that for me, no "guilty pleasure." I have an ipod full to the brim of pop. It goes thru the 50s, early 60s, then every year from 1963 through till the 2000s. I think it stops at "Hey Ya" by Outkast, whenever that was. The variety of artists and styles is mind-boggling. And when you consider that it doesn't include notable singles artists like the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Nazz, the Supremes, the Byrds, Cream, Jimi H, the Monkees, Aretha and loads of soulsters and reggae artists, wow !
Led Zeppelin's most overlooked attribute was their pop sensibility due to the session lives of John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page. One of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's never spoken of attributes was the pop sensibility {yes....the pop sensibility} of John McLaughlin and Jan Hammer down to Mac's session days and Jan's time with Sarah Vaughn.
As a child growing up in the 60s and early 70s in England, pop was part of the air that I breathed. It was part of the language of the school playground. Teachers hummed pop songs. The entire Nigerian communities in Birmingham and London played them incessantly at their weddings and Christenings. Top of the pops and Lift off with Ayshea were TV shows that you couldn't avoid even if you wanted to. Especially TOTP. It was a way of staying up a little later if you were small. Even the TV ads were full of great and memorable pop jingles.

Bullies that would hold you up for money and sweets/candy and violent toughs that roamed the streets looking for trouble and black kids to beat up even sang pop songs. Sometimes as they threw you over walls and into rose bushes.
When people speak disparagingly of pop, I'm ready to fight them ! 🤪🤛

I suppose in the same vein as Gary Puckett(who I assumed this was for quite a while), there's these guys, or this guy. Guy has some pipes. That modulation, impressive. Good tune. I can only speak for myself, but perhaps a few of us have in the past been kind of stricken by the announcement of an old flame tying the knot. Whether you really wanted to ever get back together, or it was a mere fantasy, or whatever, it kind of makes the breakup final.

I always thought this song had a very good vibe:

I really like the mix and production.

Back in the day this wouldn't have necessarily been on my list. Kind of clever lyrics. The bass line, if I was a bass player it'd be a good exercise. Well, seeing how I'm primarily a guitar player maybe I should learn it for the same purpose, practice bass.

Back in the day this wouldn't have necessarily been on my list. Kind of clever lyrics. The bass line, if I was a bass player it'd be a good exercise. Well, seeing how I'm primarily a guitar player maybe I should learn it for the same purpose, practice bass.

The funny thing about the bass part is it is very active. For a person who plays guitar, that is like full time lead :)

I won't turn this thread into a bass thing,...but, ahem, since somebody brought up the subject.

This song I won't even call a guilty pleasure pop tune, I actually dig it. Has one of my favorite bass for a pop tune. Fretless, I forget who is playing the bass. For some reason I'm thinking Mark Knopfler doing the sitar type guitar. Has a nice git break ass well. I've actually pointed it out in the past to others, the bass, response is often, yeah, cool bass...I never even noticed. Anyway...

I won't turn this thread into a bass thing,...but, ahem, since somebody brought up the subject.

This song I won't even call a guilty pleasure pop tune, I actually dig it. Has one of my favorite bass for a pop tune. Fretless, I forget who is playing the bass. For some reason I'm thinking Mark Knopfler doing the sitar type guitar. Has a nice git break ass well. I've actually pointed it out in the past to others, the bass, response is often, yeah, cool bass...I never even noticed. Anyway...

I really hate I like this song :)

Back