poorman's audio test

royharper3220

so I got some berringer truth monitors. I dont have a spl meter so i thought i would try to use a mic to set the volume levels for each monitor. I used a generated test tone (at 1000khz) from cool edit pro. and recorded each speaker genrating the test tone and adjusted and recorded some more. I of course made sure all levels like mic levels ,output levels were the same and made sure i stood in the same spot (behind and of to the side) each time.
SO did i waste my time? should i have used white noise or pink noise instead?

Levels for recording and volume levels for monitors are somewhat separate things.

The volume level of the monitor is somewhat a matter of personal taste. You want a level that allows you to do the best job of monitoring and mixing. Some prefer louder levels and others softer levels.

Recording levels are another story, and reflect what is actually recorded onto the media. Incorrect recording levels is something that may not be able to be corrected after the fact.

Ed

I mean i matched volume levels for each monitor, so the left and the right are set at the same volume. they have 12db of adjustment. they read -6 through +6. I didnt mean overall volume, I adjusted them so what would be panned in the center would be heard in the center. I set one to zero and adjusted the other until it matched the recorded level in cool edit.
I guess i wasnt clear on what my objective was.

I guess still don't understand what you're trying to do........

...why are you using the levels on the monitors??? Just set the level to max on the monitors, and adjust the listening levels via your DAW or console.

Exactly what IS your objective?

I'm not talking about overall volume. I'm talking about one monitor's volume relative to the other monitor(left and right)
I'm adjusting for stereo imaging in the room. they are powered monitors so each monitor has a little volume control knob.I thought you were suppose to use a meter to set these, instead of just trying to use the marks. they have to be adjusted so when you're listening to a mono signal,sound,track, one speaker is not louder than the other. the left speaker needs to be set at the same volume as the right speaker or else it will screw up the stereo image. you cant set one monitor to +6 and the other to -6 and expect mono sounds will really be heard in the center. I know the room the monitors are in plays an important part, so the monitors have to be adjusted for that (not just turning both monitors to max). and i thought i could use a microphone instead of a spl meter.

The way I do it is to set-up an SPL meter at the listening position, and play back pink noise at my listening level (85dB) and adjusting so that each monitor reads the exact same SPL.

I don't know any other way that is as reliable or effective in calibrating the monitor levels.

Back