polyphonic tuning in Melodyne 5 Assist (vs. monoph. Essentials)

prey

Hello and thanks in advance for weighing in.

I'm new to pitch correction, but intend to use it as naturally-sounding as I can.

I want to do a couple things like semi-theatrical-sounding vocals with my wife, along with a duet. She's been a local professional singer, whereas I'm pretty rusty (but should get close, with some chorus experience, lol). It's not just an experiment but a real bucket list item we'll spend a lot of time on, probably for years.

Like everyone, I'm pressed for cash and shouldn't buy more software than I need. But I do need to make my time worthwhile, and I have Nectar 4 standard in the mix. I'm wondering if Melodyne 5 Essentials (which comes with Izo Nectar4) will be enough for convincing results, or if Id truly utilize things like the polyphonic pitch correction of the next upgrade up, Mel. Assist.

We intend to sing separately, one track at a time, even when singing simultaneously, whether harmonizing or on the same note an octave apart.

Of course the monophonic capability of Mel Essentials would allow me to fix my singularly-sung notes, and aim for the correct pitch, relative to the other singer's track (and maybe she'll use some separate tuning, too, who knows). They say it's monophonic pitch correction but it is surely moving adjacent harmonics in my voice, hehe.

Anyway -- my question, really, is (and I appreciate any other thoughts this inspires for saving money but having enough for what you want):
Do people use the polyphonic pitch correction capacity (upgraded Me. Assist) mostly for instruments or is it preferable to clean up a duet (recorded individually) using polyphonic pitch correct, or would you stick to editing them one track at a time, even for harmony?

Edit -- I'm now purchasing iZotope Nectar 4 upgrade from Elements to Standard, which includes Melodyne 5 Essentials. I can upgrade that to Melo Assist. if needed.
But I thought I'd mention it since Nectar 4 also has the assisted pitch help, too, maybe to start with to lessen the work in Melo.
It's worth noting they seem to have done away with some of the variable pitch controls in Nectar until you get up to Advanced.
Explains why Nectar Essentials 3 leftovers are going for more than Nectar 4 standard on sale.
Nectar Essentials 3 had variable auto pitch correct intensity and de-essing. I don't even see them in Nectar 4 Standard anymore (they just throw in Melo 5 Es)

Thanks for reading my 2024 pitch correct options noob inquisitive, slightly confused rant.
Sincerely
Jeff

Last edited:
Yes, poly is for instruments. It can tune individual notes in a chord.

And yes you will always want to pitch correct individual vocal tracks in monophonic mode.

Looks like you will soon understand once ya get to using Melodyne. :giggle:

I never intend to use it, but the only reason on earth I would even consider using melodyne or autotune is because of the sensible approach and good explanations that Jimmy has given in defending its use over the last decade.

I've got a bass guitar that often won't stay in tune, as does my bandmate. They get the Melodyne treatment, and it works great. I never tune vocals, jut bass and the occasional guitar.

Back