Politics Again BUT With A Twist…What Are Some Ideas To Improve Our Broken Political System?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
Bipartisan we are for the Uber-wealthy pulling our strings as citizens. Disagree if you do, I don’t care , but… with all of these political opinions and many good intelligent, but polarizing (most) points I’ve read, in addition to my personal quasi-conspiratorial beliefs, how could we refine and improve our current elected (legislative) branch of government? Nationally is the context of this question? You can argue what is wrong (or any other fukking thing you want to do…this is a free site and anything goes) but I’d prefer only in context to support what you suggest as improvement and keep the reasons objective if you do.

How can we make our Legislative system better?

I’ll start at Presidential level and the Electoral College vs popular vote. To me it seems to work but it’s not perfect. Any better thoughts or ideas to improve it?

Money (to a degree) would be something I think needs reformation first and absolutely foremost. Special Interst groups (their professional lobbyists) and global media corporations in candidate decisions? Oy vey

And then very importantly, our Congress. Are we really properly represented as Americans? The numbers seems to say so 2 senators per state despite population and house Reps based on voter population…giving us a grand total of 535 elected congressmen, +1 commander in Chief and his/her backup VP.

I don't remember enough about the electoral college to argue intelligently. I believe it serves its purpose.

Public financing of all campaigns. Individual donors only. No corporate. No PACs.
Ranked choice voting - at lower levels of office at minimum.
Mandatory debates with mute buttons and scoring for honest answers, demerits for non-answers (maybe deductions in response time).
Gerrymander reform.
In-person voting only, with exceptions for age, handicap and illness.
Mandatory voter ID.
Polling station for every x-thousand voters and x-mile radius with free shuttle buses.

Any one would be a decent start.

And then very importantly, our Congress. Are we really properly represented as Americans? The numbers seems to say so 2 senators per state despite population and house Reps based on voter population…giving us a grand total of 535 elected congressmen, +1 commander in Chief and his/her backup VP.
With so many deadlocks in Congress I can’t help but wonder if both House and Senate could benefit from, and operate more efficiently with, major reform. To me it seems broken and prejudiced (not racially or religiously or sexual-preferentially) but IMO, monetarily by the price of admission which only (especially at State, regional and local levels) only gets you in the door. But I’m focusing on our national elected representatives. I think it doesn’t work well.

I don't remember enough about the electoral college to argue intelligently. I believe it serves its purpose.

Public financing of all campaigns. Individual donors only. No corporate. No PACs.
Mandatory debates with mute buttons and scoring for honest answers, demerits for non-answers (maybe deductions in response time).
Gerrymander reform.
Mandatory voter ID.
Polling station for every x-thousand voters and x-mile radius with free shuttle buses.

Same with you on electoral college and IIRC is based on popular vote but not absolute. That is good IMO

And everything else you’ve suggested is wise and I agree

Gerrymander reform.
Mandatory voter ID.

Hear hear

As for the Legislative structure (current) by state, how do you feel about the House and Senate and the numbers and percentages in our current system? And how could it be made more representative and less partisan burdened?

I promise not to mention particulars again, but as as a (I feel) genuinely non-partisan Congressman, I am a fan a Crazy Bernie, ONLY because I feel he is not tied to money interest or the bipartisan monster. As President? No. As a leader in Congress? Hells to tha yeah.

In my opinion Congress is too divided and heavy-handed to extremes. I’ve pondered how to reduce that without leaning into Authoritarian by reduction of representation while ultimately abiding by Presidential authority. Tough problem to solve

My home state Florida is looooong and is realistically 3 or 4 different states under the same phallus-shaped boundary. Rhode Island is notsomuch. Two senators per state is fair in bigger and more expansive (geographically) states like Florida and Texas where there is heavy popular throughout. Enter the Reps side of Congress based on population . More reflective because of population and demographics but more lethargy to the machine.

I haven’t thought this entirely through with facts but consider it as just a proposition:
What if presidential terms were increase to 5 years (reason being it takes a good period to transition before effective campaign promises can be started in a restrictive Congress to take effect)

So Pres election terms would be 5 years BUT with a Special Election at 3 years to affirm the POTUS performance which may require a super majority to overturn if he or she is really ducking things up after 3 holding office. If not, two more years.

Senate: 1 representative for each state

HOR: reduce the number per state formula by half, essentially same as Senate reducing by half.

So there would be 50 Senators, one per United State, and likely (based on current 435 reps) 217 or so House Representatives. This would produce a total of 267 elected Congress.
The downside is less representation in particular demographics.
The upside? Less BS and more rubber hits the road government.
One of my ideas

A hundred other govt structured scenario options …so away with Senate and have a Parliament based only on population representatives per state.

Just some thoughts of mine. Since we seem to be in conflict on sides, do you have any suggestions on how to improve the current US legislative system to function more effectively?

As a representative constitutional republic, the language of the constitution needs to be updated to specifically delineate our founders original intent, and include historical precedence to the same. The constitution cannot be open to interpretation.

As a representative constitutional republic, the collective will of the states should supersede the powers of federal government and hold it accountable to the constitutional will of the people.

As a representative constitutional republic, the first function of public education should be to teach the historical precepts of the constitution.

As a representative constitutional republic, the United States Supreme Court should consist of eight elected justices with no less than twenty years of proven experience at state level. The United States Supreme Court should have the authority to call into question and correct any laws that are either redundant, or do not equally and constitutionally apply to all United States citizens.

I agree with most of this except 8 member SC .in 4/4 hanging votes, how is the decisive vote cast?
Laws must be universally applicable to all citizens. Any law that cannot be decided upon is obviously not very well written and should be sent back to the authors.

Back