Polish Suggestions

howlin'dog

I have a Guitar that is my son's... It is cheap. The pick guard and the plastic on the pickups are starting to yellow and i would like to polish them to try and get them white again.

I have a polisher tip for my Dremel and was wondering if i could use this and what type of polish or cleaner would work?

If any other ideas are around, Please let me know...

Howlin' Dog

Yellow!!

Man that's the vintage look... My guild binding is all yellow from years of being in a smoke filled room...

But...

Try some alcohol on it (the plastic), isopropyl maybe. It cleans up computer CD-ROM faces that are in smoky enviorments not bad. Try it on small area first. Although you say it's a cheap guitar so... :) I don't think you'll be out much if it messes it up. Could always buy a new pickguard from retroparts, $10.

Novus 2.

Not only could you use it to eradicate minor scratches and discoloration on the plastic pick guard but on the guitar finish as well.

search for it on the internet and order it that way. tough to come by otherwise.

Don't use the Dremel unless it is on a RPM reducer; it goes too fast and you'll burn a hole through the plastic or the finish. If it is dirty, try some rubbing compound followed by polishing compound to clean it up. You can get Meguiar's Mirror Glaze at a body shop, or through Stewart MacDonald (just do a search on that or "stewmac" for the link).

This is patina. It actually increases the guitars value. Its from natural aging process. If you use alchohol, this might damage the paint {most are alcohol based}. And if you use compond and your dremel tool, you might burn threw the finish and the binding as well. This aging process is actually recreated today and you have to pay more for it. Gibson has a man called Mr Murphy who specializes in this process {and you gunna pay too.} He does their flame tops and reissues antiquing. If you liked the the way it looked before it got old and are not concern about the preservation or value of the guitar, have it completely refinished. I collect them so all I would do is to advise that you clean and polish it, and if you love it as much as I love mine, sleep with it.

This guitar is a Stage 1/2 scale kids guitar. It is about Three years old and when i got it it was hard to get the plastic membrane off due to the sun/??? that baked it on in the store window. this was the last one they had in a special once off run. Sence then they re-ran the style and i just got another for my second son. the first one looks great and only the pickguard is yellow and dirty.

I am not worried about the value. i am wanting it clean it to help teach my son to care for it. He has had it sence he was 1 and is now 4 years old. this guitar is in great shape as he is learning well.

i may need to get a pick guard made to replace it.

Howlin' Dog

Auto polish almost always has abrasives in it....not good....

If you wanna clean the guitar itself, go Murphy's (did I spell that right?)oil soap or even that funky furniture stuff called Endust........I don't know how well that would work on plastic, though.......maybe just clean the plastic with regular soap and water, and maybe a small amount of bleach to get rid of the yellow (of course, I would actually want it to be yellow, but to each his own)......

Most polishes don't clean, they uh, polish.........

A polish that I've seen mentioned a lot is called "Trick"....it's at stewmac and here's the link..........gibs

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/haze...VE&ITEM=catalog/s.html&1=+section=Accessories

Back