polar pattern and freq resp.

dcptnsdcvd

can i tell how good a microphone is by looking at the polar pattern and the freq. responce??
if so, what does the polar pattern and freq. responce of a good cardioid or hyper/super cardioid mic look like?? what should i look for when looking at these charts??

also, i am STILL looking for the right mics to buy...
i found a set of CAD drum mics for a good price. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with cad mics?? i'll bet their shit cuz they're not an arm and a leg, but ya never know.
Mike...

dcptnsdcvd said:
can i tell how good a microphone is by looking at the polar pattern and the freq. responce??

Actually, no, you can't.

Even if you could, you would have to remember that it is the mic manufacturer that is providing the specs - not an independent testing service. So you don't really know how those specs were derived.

But even if you had pristine objective specs, it's not the polar pattern, the frequency response, the shape, the weight, the impedance, the sensitivity, the self-noise, the thickness of the diaphragm, the maximum SPL handling, or the total dynamic range that makes a great mic.

Some of those factors may help you to chose a mic for a specific application (e.g. you might not want to use a mic with a top frequency of 14k to record a triangle, or a mic with a lot of self-noise to record a lute, or an omni in a really bad sounding room, etc.) - but in general there is no single spec or group of specs that will tell you if you are going to like the sound of a particular mic.

The only thing you can really do is: listen to it.

oh, i see...

so, i gotta win the lotto or steal the federal reserve, and buy every mic in the world, bring em home and record with each.
cuz listening to a mic in the store doesn;t do any good. it's gonna sound completely diffrent when you put it in a recording environment and when it's recorded.

so i can do nothing short of going out, buying whatever mic i've been recomended the most, and finding out if it;s shit or not when i get it home.

a tesla song comes to mind,
no way out, no way out, of this living hell...

i need to become really good friends with alan parsons, can someone gimme his home phone no.???

Mike...

dcptnsdcvd said:
oh, i see...

so, i gotta win the lotto or steal the federal reserve, and buy every mic in the world, bring em home and record with each.
Geez, I wish it was that easy.

What you hafta do is understand how all this stuff works, and then make your best educated guess on what you think will work best for your needs.

If you understand how guitars radiate sound, you can make a good guess as to where to place a mic for best response, and maybe even which mic to use for a particular song. Knowing how polar patterns work, and how to use mic response to make tonal adjustments is also important.

It's like asking how to become a race car driver. It depends on whether it's a drag strip racing, stock car racing, Gran Prix racing, or Baja racing - they all require different sets of skills, and it ain't that easy to teach over the internet.

Now, imagine someone asks you, "Whats the best race car to buy?" How do you answer that, without knowing what kind of racing the person might be doing?

A Baja Dune Buggy might not do too well at Indianapolis, but a Formula One race car would be at a big disadvantage trying to go over a dune.

dcptnsdcvd said:

i found a set of CAD drum mics for a good price. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with cad mics?? i'll bet their shit cuz they're not an arm and a leg, but ya never know.
Mike...
\

... Well they dont sound terrible, but If you do go the cheaper road and by the cad mics you will probably just trash them later to buy better drums mics... thats what i did. There are alot of good packages out there. you might wanna save your money and get the shure drum mic package(3 57's and a beta 52) or something equivelant.
Good luck

dcptnsdcvd said:
oh, i see...

cuz listening to a mic in the store doesn;t do any good. it's gonna sound completely diffrent when you put it in a recording environment and when it's recorded.

so i can do nothing short of going out, buying whatever mic i've been recomended the most, and finding out if it;s shit or not when i get it home.

Dear deceptionsdeceived:

There actually is a better (or at least more reasonable) alternative, although the risk is you may have to abandon some of your delightful cynicism. I don't know exactly what the local resources are in Waterbury, CT. but with any luck you should be able to find a decent pro-audio dealer within 50-100 miles (even if it means going to NYC, Hartford, New London, or Boston). I'm talking about a high-end independent, not Sam Ash or Guitar Center.

The trick is to establish a personal relationship with that dealer. Honestly explain your situation - that over time you will be wanting to buy a select number of "better than entry level" pieces of gear - and you need to be able to audition alternatives.

I have that relationship with a dealer in the Boston area. If I'm looking for a mic, a preamp, monitors, or a compressor, for instance, he'll let me take 3 or 4 of them home for a week and compare them at my leasure. If he doesn't have a particular demo unit in stock, he'll even call a factory rep and get ahold of one for me. I learned long ago I can't tell squat about gear by listening to my own voice in a store (since I'm not a singer, among other reasons). I need to audition it under real-world conditions. As an alternative, if you CAN'T find someone willing to do that, you may be at least able to talk someone into letting you "buy" three or for pieces on your credit card with the understanding that you'll be returning all but one.

It shouldn't be that hard to establish that kind of relationship. It's an advantage to the dealer to create a fruitful long-term customer relationship with you, so you both benefit. Some people are afraid they will pay too much of a price premium shopping this way, as opposed to an internet superstore - but my experience has been that in most cases (exception being where one store buys out all the remaining factory stock on a discontinued item) my dealer will get me as good or BETTER price as anywhere i can find. Occasionally I've even been able to buy the demo piece itself at an even better discount. (I did that with a Genelec subwoofer, a Millenia Media TCL2 compressor, and a few other things).

So, it can work out really nicely. You can get a group of recommendations on a specific piece of gear from your colleagues or places like this, and then go and get a loan of a few of them from your dealer and make your own decision. There's no better way! And as a bonus, I'm even able to borrow stuff from my dealer from time to time for a specific session.

Even if someone you trusted was able to tell you unconditionally:

"Definitely buy the Funklogic Palindrometer"

...and you did and liked it... you still might always wonder that if you had a chance to personally compare, you might have really liked the Satirical Systems Oxymoronmeter better. There's no purchasing peace of mind better than doing your own comparison testing.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

I read somewhere that that Oxymoron meter thing was the shitz! I got's to get me one of those...

Does this make me a gear slut?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back