Point to Point III on ProRec

CMiller

If anyone follows this, ProRec.com has this year's Point to Point up and running. Check it out.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, every year ProRec.com dissects a recording project from bottom to top. This is the third year they've done it and they are always full of great information and ideas. It is a must for anyone using a DAW. Once again, the address is...

http://www.prorec.com/

Check it out!

I forgot to mention that you can use the "search" function on the site to look-up the old Point to Point articles. If you aren't familiar with this series, you might want to check out the old ones first before diving into the new one. The old articles have more info on what gear he has and stuff.

Very, very good stuff here guys!

I agree

Greetings,

I agree man, I stubled across that article last week and was blown away. Its so damn inspiring to take apart someone elses work that sounds good and see how they got there. Its really cool they got different people to talk about it, and the before and after track clips should be standard in every recording article.

SirRiff

Yeah, I agree, but I liked the first two better. I think it's mainly because I don't like the song that is being discussed in the third part. But definitely something one should read IMO. Great food for thought.

David.

Yeah, I didn't care much for this tune either. What I did find interesting was the weird shit they did with drums. This is a great lesson to those of us who constantly feel they need to ask everyone's opinion on how to record something before doing it. Just grab a mic and freakin' record it! Experiment, damn it!

Hey, Miller, good link.

Damn, look at this: "Over the next week we received everyone's sample mixes. They came in the form of stereo .aiff and .wav files uploaded to our ftp site."

Even with broadband, can you imagine how long it would take to transfer 24-bit wav files over the internet?

Recently I got a taste of what you can achieve with internet collaboration. It's awesome. Now, if I just had more than 5 MB of server space...

been a fan of Rip Rowan since the first Four Mile Mule Point to Point....everyone should check out all 3 in the series.......

funny...never heard of her

She's a Minneapolis artist, and I never heard of her...funny.

It was a cool article...strange to hear the slight slight changes he does in stuff...I find myself going..."What bad frequency?" - What the heck are you trying to do here, boss?"

RB

what I thought was amazing was the mad eq that he had on some of the tracks.

I had always been gentle on eq, but it inspired me to go crazy.

If you've never been to Prorec.com go there now... They have great articles on just about damn near everything. I go there daily just to check up on the discussion threads. Anything that Bill Park says is golden. I've found a couple of decent, cheap mics from an article written a couple of years ago by some guy I didn't know. And the Point to Point articles are simply amazing. I just wish more people would be ballsy enough to put up original, unaltered tracks against the final product...It just gives you so much insight into what other people do to get a final product that sounds good. I honestly think that Rip Rowan does the best job of anybody on the net when it comes to trying to educate other people about recording techniques.

Yeah, tell me about it. I can tell you that I don't have the balls to post stuff raw like that. ProRec is a great place for info on stuff. Unlike a lot of places, they have no problems tearing the shit out of gear they think is crappy. I like that!

my favorite is still when they ripped a new hole in the Marshall mxl2001's ass......

im still trying to get one or more of the more experienced people here to put together something similar, yet more detailed, with soundclips longer than 3 seconds.....

the first P2P with Four Mile Mile was a pretty big eye opener for me... i practically laughed at the bass sound and the snare when i heard them separate from the song....but "Black and White Movie" is a killer song and i learned that you have to make each track sound good in context with a mix and not necessary sound good solo'ed......

Back