Point Of View

I am just listening on computer speakers, but here are my constructive comments:

I like the song quite a bit. Sounds clean and well recorded. The tambourine is a little irritating. Perhaps just using it during the chorus would make it less so. The lead vocal sounds a bit muffled. I could be mistaken, but it sounds like there is some heavy pitch correction or something going on...it just doesn't sound right.

ha!....you've got good ears (and computer speakers too :D ).....I guess that's what happens when it's mixed by the tambourine player (hehehe...)....and there is some heavy pitch correction going on in spots...my first quick attempt with Anteres....I'll have to work on that....glad you liked the song though (that's John's work :) ).....thanks scrubs!!

MAC2 said:
ha!....you've got good ears (and computer speakers too :D ).....I guess that's what happens when it's mixed by the tambourine player (hehehe...)....and there is some heavy pitch correction going on in spots...my first quick attempt with Anteres....I'll have to work on that....glad you liked the song though (that's John's work :) ).....thanks scrubs!!

Sure thing, MAC2. However, I am hardly a pro and have no experience with pitch correction, so you can bet that if I can hear the effect, others can too. From what I have read about pitch fixers on this board, they are best used very judiciously when you have a great vocal performance, but maybe one or two notes are a little off. In my opinion, roots rock/americana like this should have a very organic feel/sound. Too much in the way of digital manipulation really makes it sound unnatural, which I think is what happened with this track.

One thing I have tried on parts where I am having trouble hitting the right notes (I have this one song with significant interval jumps in the vocal that I can hear in my head, but cannot always hit on cue) is to figure out the notes on the piano and play them back at half speed, singing along. Several repetitions helps me get it in my head before I track it. Happy recording!

The vocals need to sit better with the music. They are way to upfront at times, and I don't mean volume, eq.

scrubs:....I updated the file with a different mix/master of the tune where I attempted to minimize the pitch correction....the tambourine has remained unchanged volume-wise although the different mastering settings may have helped a bit...I'm not sure if John would go for the piano assisted practice (although it's an excellent way to do things)...he tends to rely on the emotion of the moment...thanks again for your help :)

chadsxe:...if you get a chance please check the updated version and let me know if the vox sits any better....I appreciate the input!

The vocals still are very autotuned towards the end....Did you change them at all in a attempt to make them sit better......if not my second listen made me think they do, but at times it seems like there is this low end clash going on with them.... are they dry or did you add reverb

A lot of heavy compression/limiting on the 2-mix. Too noticable, probably. Vocal track sounds odd... dry in comparison to the mix. Good singing though.

MAC2 said:
I'm not sure if John would go for the piano assisted practice (although it's an excellent way to do things)...he tends to rely on the emotion of the moment...thanks again for your help :)
I am all about getting emotion into the performance, but you also have to exhibit some technical proficiency. Striking a balance between the two is a constant problem during recording because you lose interest/intensity after so many takes. I don't know what John's aspirations are professionally, but he will undoubtedly go farther if he can sing on key. He has talent, particularly in the songwriting arena. With a great performance, I could envision this song on a contemporary country album or being done by some Hootie-like/Edwin McCain-type band (no offense intended by those comparisons, it just has that sort of feel to it).

Actually, I listened to the other songs that were posted and they sounded more natural to my ears (though lyrically not quite as strong). The updated version of "point of view" doesn't sound much improved to me. Who sings the harmonies, or are you using an auto-harmonizer during the chorus, etc.? Those harmonies really only seem to muddy things up in this mix. Best wishes.

chadsxe:...yes the vocals were mixed differently and the "auto mode" of the autotune was tweaked differently...there is a small amount of reverb on both the lead and harmony tracks...the autotune ("Cher effect") is most noticeable when he slides his notes during the choruses...the program apparently has a tough time following that....I'm not experienced enough yet to "draw in" the corrections (which appears to be a tedious and time consuming process...) but will search this site for tips ;)

participant:....thanks for checkin' it out!...the compression settings were the same for both mixes...the mix, pitch correction and EQ (mastering) settings were different (which may affect the compression...maybe I should have changed that too :eek: )....the vocals are somewhat dry...I'll look into that...

scrubs:...you nailed John's strength....I agree with your opinion about emotion vs. technical proficiency....although that's my role as the recordist to appraise the artist about the technical requirements I generally let the artist do what they want....at least then they get to try it their way...if successful it helps build their confidence and if it fails it will serve to gain their confidence in my suggestions ;) ...no "auto harmonizer" was used...he sang all the vocal parts and the Anteres was utilized to help correct the pitchy parts...thanks again for your help!

MAC2 said:
participant:....thanks for checkin' it out!...the compression settings were the same for both mixes...the mix, pitch correction and EQ (mastering) settings were different (which may affect the compression...maybe I should have changed that too :eek: )....the vocals are somewhat dry...I'll look into that...

What I meant by "the 2-mix" is the stereo mix. I never heard your other mix. This mix still has a compression problem, IMO. It's not really a pumping or breathing problem; it's a "pushing the limiter a bit hard" problem. The vocal track is where you notice it.

The human voice is loudest in the middle of words. At the beginning of each line, notice the vocal level... you'll hear how the entire mix clamps down when the vocals are supposed to be getting louder.

Chad

Back