Point and laugh…and them tell me how to do it. Please

iangerber

Ok, I'm trying to get a studio together. I want to do 8 tracks analog. I run Logic off of my IMac and I plan on bouncing the tape down to it, but I have wanted to record to 8 tracks of tape since I have wanted to record…so for the last 15 years. I'm not getting talked out of it.

First, if I can find a Tascam 388, I think I would do well with that unit. It seems that those are getting pretty classic and hard to find. Any insight where to pick one up would be fantastic.

If I can't nail one of those down, I want an 8 track reel to reel. I have a board that will work great already. In fact, its the tascam 388 without the recorder.

I have a handle on the room and making it sound right. I have quality instruments and amplifiers. I know what mics I'm going to get. I live and breath "Good In, Good Out" so I don't have to worry about tweaking the tracks, just mixing them down with minimal eq. I want to go as straight to tape as possible. With that said...

What I really need to know is….
What kind of outboard gear I would need to make something like a Tascam 38 sound nice and clean. I don't want to get into effects too much. I know I'll need a reverb and a compressor and any suggestions for those are welcome…even though I'm going to get a real reverb unit, not a digital one.

I don't really understand the noise suppressing units and I am haven't grapsed biasing.

Please advise. Thank You.

Back