Point A to Point B Help

1manband

OK, Im not really a newbie to home recording, but am a newbie to this forum, its my first post. Hopefully i will not bore you all with my question that you have all heard many times before im sure. Basically I just upgraded all of my gear and commitment to home recording and am having trouble just connecting all the new stuff. Lets start with what I have and go from there; I am using a fostex 1840 mixer (4 BUS), a alesis adat xt 8 track, and a home computer for mixdown (I GUESS), and a few pieces of outboard gear, multieffects, compressor, the usual stuff. My problem is that i know how to run the 4 busses from the mixer to the adat, but when i want to go back and put down another track (#5), do i need to unplug one of the inputs on the adat, move it over and plug it in to another input? and so on for the remaining 3 tracks? Do you understand my question? If i had a 8 bus mixer going into a 8 track adat, i would have no problem right? Ok, next question; What do i do with the 8 outputs from the adat? run them back into the board for adding of effects? If so, do they then go back again to adat, only with effects on them now? i have no clue, how do i get the whole process down to 2 tracks(stereo) to put into my computer to burn(with mixing software) and burn on to a cd? I realize this is a whopper, but i know someone out there will love to walk me through all of this mess. If not, does anybody out there wanna buy some home recording gear?

One thing that would simplifiy your life tremendously is called a patchbay. It allows you to have a panel much like old telephone operators that allow you to send nearly anything anywhere you want. It can ger fairly complex. On a 18 channel board and your running only 8 tracks of ADAT you can use 8 direct outs to the recorder, use another 8 for returns ans the last 2 for effects returns. I don't know anything about the back panel of your console, but patchbays are really handy.

SoMm

thank you for the advice, but unfortunately it only added more questions to my list. You say that using a patchbay i could run eight direct outs to the adat? What exactly are the direct outs? do you mean the in/out on each channell? or the insert? or is that the same thing? Then you suggested i use another 8 channels for return from the adat. I have no idea why i do this, can you explain what you mean?(the adat has 8 outs on the back). is the reason for this playback? and adding effects? Then you suggest using the remaining 2 tracks of my board for effects. Can you explain that to me, i thought you can use only efx send/return, and maybee an aux send or two to add effects? see, i am out of my element a tad and still need enlightenment. But thanx so much for the advice, please keep it coming.

Back