Poetic Intensity does Long Gone Drumtrack

jeffmaher

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=825703&content=music

Hope I didn't gum 'em up too bad..first time with a full kit of real deal.

Ray, I ended up panning the opening guit and piano rad R&L as a solution to the stepping-on problem [works?]....and subdued the startling gliss on the acoustic V2.

I left the pianos a little ragged, but cleaned up some stuff.

PI thanks for the chance to work with the track, and kudos for a great job!

Oh yeah...any other fish, let me know before I throw it in storage...appreciate the ears.

I think it's pretty good overall. It sounds like PI is getting better sounds from his kit. The snare seems to have some snap to it, but it's hard to tell. The drums are kind of lost and lifeless in the mix. They're there, but they sound 2-dimensional. I don't think it's a tracking issue. It seems like a mix issue. They appear to be way in the background. The crashes sound faint yet overly shimmery. The kit sounds like it's mono but then you have crashes happening all around. That's kind of strange. The rest of the mix is much improved. It doesn't sound nearly as disheveled as it did before.

Nice sound. As for the drums, I think they can come up a little more overall. Also boost the kick a bit. Other than that everything is decent.

I silenced the acoustic in the 2nd half buildup..I think that cleared thing up a lot...that buildup and confusion. It was unnecessary, and damaging, I think. The second half goes 'Doobie' with the robot drummer accompanying PI's work...it pushed the intensity of the build up to where I hoped it would be...lots of thuggathugga. I thought the parts complimented each other.

To be sure, I struggled with the drum levels...and finally just put it where it felt right to me. I guess because of the nature of the piece...quasi orchestral....it's a reflection of similar pro mixes I heard..drums supporting more stealth-like. If I raised the cans, I had to raise the bass...and with all that bass range in the pianos, too, it just overwhelmed everything, kinda.

Tx for the listen and crit.

btw...what happens to the masthead when you have 17345686416660047597607053856967978773625256734758696895874734239 rep points??

Hmmmm...that's two votes for drums up. Must consider....TX

Oh yeah...I also spread the overall pans about 10% right and left...might also be what's clearing the scrum.

I also didn't touch the stereo track PI sent me with other that a CH of verb and some edits. No compression, other than the light dose in the master for the whole. Y' think I could improve the 3D with some application of voodoo??

Hmmmm...that's two votes for drums up. Must consider....TX

Oh yeah...I also spread the overall pans about 10% right and left...might also be what's clearing the scrum.

I also didn't touch the stereo track PI sent me with other that a CH of verb and some edits. No compression, other than the light dose in the master for the whole. Y' think I could improve the 3D with some application of voodoo??

No. If all you have is a stereo track of the whole kit, you're mostly screwed. You need individual tracks if you want to get it the best it can be.

Oh, wait...I think I get you: You're saying, by 'mono', that the kit isn't wide enough in the field?? That's easy to fix....

I could have gotten indie trax....but I'm about out of computational space on this platform...at the hanging-point. So I decided to just go with the one mixdown. Nothing money can't fix.

Back