PodXT samples (for those wondering)

SilverSurfer

Ok, I just picked the first Metallica riff that came to my head (well, it's not Metallica's song, they just did a great job on this cover).

The following are samples from my PodXT. All I did was remove the cab effects, plug the Pod into my monitor speakers, mic the speakers with my 319 right into my DMP3 into my AW16G and record the samples.

Mind you, I did no tweaking on the sounds even though the Pod is VERY versatile. The volume on the monitors isn't up much due to where I live, but if I could crank them loud, I'd just use my Marshall.

Enjoy.

Spinal Puppet Sample (Custom user made)
Solo 100 Sample (Standard Pod)
JCM 800 sample (Standard Pod)
Master of Puppets type sample (Custom user made)
Treadplate Dual sample (Standard Pod)

IMO, they are all horrible. Way too buzz-sawy sounding. Not at all convincing. Keep working at. Of course it may be your listening environment too. Where are you tracking/mixing. Is there any kind of treatment on the walls, bass trapping in corners etc.......?

HangDawg said:
IMO, they are all horrible. Way too buzz-sawy sounding. Not at all convincing. Keep working at. Of course it may be your listening environment too. Where are you tracking/mixing. Is there any kind of treatment on the walls, bass trapping in corners etc.......?

No that's just in my dining room. I don't have a recording studio. Maybe I just need to get an isolation box or something. Remember, the speakers aren't cranked up and these are the sounds right out of the box. There's a 5150 sound I want to import to the Pod because the guy who made it, you can hardly tell the difference between the real thing and the Pod when he played them together.

I'll see if I can find it tonight.

why did you mic your monitors instead of plugging the POD right into the recording device? I get GREAT resultes with my xt this way.

PRSplaya said:
why did you mic your monitors instead of plugging the POD right into the recording device? I get GREAT resultes with my xt this way.

I would like to hear your great results. Everyone keeps saying this but I've yet to hear anything worth a shit. Sorry.

Ok, this is an mp3 clip from a user on the Line 6 message board but basically it compares a real 5150 to the POD's 5150... See if you can tell which side the real 5150 is playing on vs the POD XT emulated one... you'll have to pan hard to one side or the other compare...

I was able to tell, but the differences are pretty subtle unless you are a discerning audiophile who also hates Line 6. To the non-musician the differences are null...

HangDawg said:
I would like to hear your great results. Everyone keeps saying this but I've yet to hear anything worth a shit. Sorry.

Well, If I could play worth a shit I would. Frankly, I don't care if you like the POD or not because it doesn't effect me either way. All I was getting at, was that these are some pretty bad recording of a PODxt in action. Some like it, some don't. That's just the way it's going to be with anything and everything. I still record with my other real tube gear, but I also use the POD alot for certain sounds I can't get with my tube amps. For what I do, it sounds good enough, and that's all that matters. ;)

BTW, by great, I meant compaired to those clips.

PRSplaya said:

Well it was suggested. I can run them again direct and see how it sounds. I am sure I can get a better sound when I start tweaking it. I am not making excuses for the Pod as much as I am saying "I dunno how to use the thing yet."

I've barely had it a week :)

MarkIV123 said:
Ok, this is an mp3 clip from a user on the Line 6 message board but basically it compares a real 5150 to the POD's 5150... See if you can tell which side the real 5150 is playing on vs the POD XT emulated one... you'll have to pan hard to one side or the other compare...

I was able to tell, but the differences are pretty subtle unless you are a discerning audiophile who also hates Line 6. To the non-musician the differences are null...

I can tell pretty easily the right side is the Pod. Do you have this patch?! I would love to have it and tweak it myself a bit.

I think both sides sound pretty good. I like the left channel better though. Hard to tell through computer speakers though.

The right channel is most definetly the pod. It sounds much more digital, and has those high harmonics that i seem to get on every kind of distortion on my PodXT. Though i'm not dissing the Pod as i've been able to get some really cool sounds out of it.

HangDawg said:
I think both sides sound pretty good. I like the left channel better though. Hard to tell through computer speakers though.

The left is the 5150. Easy to tell as the tone is more smooth sounding. The right channel is "scratchy" - that's the best way to put it.

I personally don't have the patch info, but I'm sure if you search the Line 6 message board you can find it... yeah, it is the right side though.. the high end harmonics give it away. that and the left side seems to just have a better lower end punch..
I haven't had much time to spend with my new POD, but the Soldano Model with 4x12 green 20's, no post eq, has a good low end without the fizz of the other models....
If I get a chance or the ambition I'll post a couple of my own recordings....

I'll have to check that out. I am trying to get a tone like that - one that doesn't have the fuzz or high end harmonics and more low end punch. I can equalize some of the high end out but that won't make the fuzz go away.

Man, I added that 5150 tone, MUCH BETTER direct than micing the monitors. When I finish this cover in the next week, I'll post the results.

This clip was done by someone on the line 6 forum and it is all POD XT and nothing else... It sounds super close to Eddie's brown tone.. I owned a 5150 for a little bit and still couldn't get it sound this good recorded...

Here is a link to the thread:

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=009678

And here is a link to his page where you can download the presets:

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/snider_podxt.zip

I tried it out and it is pretty damn good.. makes me feel good about the $$$ I've dropped on my XT Live... :D

Back