Podxt:Hook up to Small Tube Amp or Power Amp?

JPXTom

Which would be better? Since it is a essentially a preamp, would i be better off(sound wise) hooking it into a power amp or would it sound fine through a tube combo amp?

Which would be better? Since it is a essentially a preamp, would i be better off(sound wise) hooking it into a power amp or would it sound fine through a tube combo amp?

it will sound great through a tube guitar amp. i'm using a tonelab with a 100W tube half stack and it's bad ass but...there is the small issue with EQ. i bought the tube amp because i wanted the option of plugging straight into it but when i do and set the EQ to my liking, it messes up my settings for the tonelab. (not that big a deal really.) i think a 100W tube power amp would be better for using modelers.

if your intent on sticking with the POD then a tube power amp and good cab would be the way to go.

there has been talk here about atomic amps and some swear by them. they're specifically built for modelers so ya might want to google it and check them out.

i always thought the fender blues junior was good as a canvas ...not too pricey...all tube and it really doesnt distort at all unless u really push it....but everything that goes through it gets the tube preamp treatment which means its nice and smooth and creamy.

You should consider the notion that a modeller is intended to put out the desired sound the way it is......which implies that it is intended to be plugged into a high fidelity power amp and speaker, or directly into a board, instead of into a guitar amp.... guitar amps are designed for guitars, not for hi-fi...

you can test this theory by plugging your pod into a stereo or into a board with a PA and see if it sounds awesome the way it is.

You should consider the notion that a modeller is intended to put out the desired sound the way it is......which implies that it is intended to be plugged into a high fidelity power amp and speaker, or directly into a board, instead of into a guitar amp.... guitar amps are designed for guitars, not for hi-fi...

you can test this theory by plugging your pod into a stereo or into a board with a PA and see if it sounds awesome the way it is.

for the most part i agree with soundchaser....

however i did work with a guy that ran one of those pedalboard models in to a direct input on an old fender delux that absolutely SmokeD...

Here's what I do.

I use a Vox AC30CC combo (all tube) amp. When I want to use my POD XTL with the Vox, I set up a user bank with the amp modeling bypassed. This kills not only the amp emulation but the speaker cabinet emulation, mic placement, and AIR settings. So what you end up with is a very versatile multi-bank effect pedal. You also need to make sure that the "what are you connected to" setting is set up for direct-in; this turns off all the weird EQ stuff that comes into play when you are setting up to run into the front end of a guitar amp, or into a power amp.

The trick is to set the output level of the Pod so that (all of the above having been done), when all effects are turned off, the gain is the same as what it would be if you were running your guitar straight into your amp. That way, the Pod will not be pushing your amp any more than your guitar would be, and the Pod will just be buffering the guitar at unity gain when all effects are off.

Here's what I do.

I use a Vox AC30CC combo (all tube) amp. When I want to use my POD XTL with the Vox, I set up a user bank with the amp modeling bypassed. This kills not only the amp emulation but the speaker cabinet emulation, mic placement, and AIR settings. So what you end up with is a very versatile multi-bank effect pedal. You also need to make sure that the "what are you connected to" setting is set up for direct-in; this turns off all the weird EQ stuff that comes into play when you are setting up to run into the front end of a guitar amp, or into a power amp.

The trick is to set the output level of the Pod so that (all of the above having been done), when all effects are turned off, the gain is the same as what it would be if you were running your guitar straight into your amp. That way, the Pod will not be pushing your amp any more than your guitar would be, and the Pod will just be buffering the guitar at unity gain when all effects are off.

Hmm i didnt know you could bypass the amp emulation and just use the effects? (I dont have a pod yet, but i just wanna get all the items i should buy along with it out of the way)...However, if i wanted to use the amps and such, would i still do the 2nd step of what you said? Getting the gain to the right level?

Hmm i didnt know you could bypass the amp emulation and just use the effects? (I dont have a pod yet, but i just wanna get all the items i should buy along with it out of the way)...However, if i wanted to use the amps and such, would i still do the 2nd step of what you said? Getting the gain to the right level?
The amp models, when enabled, have individual output levels that will interact with the Pod's overall output level. You will have to experiment with each amp model to get your levels consistent (or customized to what you want them to be).

Also, if you are using the amp models running into the front end of a combo, you need to set the "what are you connected to" parameters appropriately, and you will be doing some work with the EQ on the Pod to get it to sound right. This is the most challenging aspect of using a Pod.

Back