POD XT - Direct Recording

HungPhat

im Gassing badly and need to spend money.

so...

anyone use the POD XT for recording?

care to discuss??

i plan on getting one this week and getting all 3 model packs so when my firebox finally arrives i can actually start using my computer!

HungPhat said:

so...

care to discuss??

i plan on getting one this week and getting all 3 model packs so when my firebox finally arrives i can actually start using my computer!
I use one both direct, and as the Effects for mic'ing my amp. Seems to work for me, but am about an average player/ musician....

I'm using the XT Live for direct recording. Works fine for me, just needs a little more tweaking to get it to sit in the mix (extra EQ, but regular amps need that too).

HungPhat said:

so...

care to discuss??

I use a V-Amp pro quite a bit. I've also got 4 tube amps I use and I believe modelers have a place in the studio. Normally I do like how miked amps sound in the mix but modelers can really take some work. The presets almost always suck bad so you have to spend time to create your own settings and that requires a LOT of experimenting.

A modeler can really come in handy when you can't crank up amps and you can always come back and record with your amps later. A lot of times I get an idea and I can quickly just fire up my modeler and get down my idea. I will always find use for them. But they still do not sound as good as the real thing and they probably never will. They are what they are, another tool to use.

That said, I have compared the V-Amps to the PODS and found them rather close in sound. I got the V-Amp pro because the POD just did not sound hundred's of dollars better.

therage! said:
That said, I have compared the V-Amps to the PODS and found them rather close in sound. I got the V-Amp pro because the POD just did not sound hundred's of dollars better.

did you compare the v-amp to the POD XT???
i JUST sold my V-amp Pro and i still own a Vamp2

i chose the v-amp2 over POD version 2.0 but i have yet to have played the POD XT.

i will be using a combonation of mic'ing and using direct when recording.

HungPhat said:
did you compare the v-amp to the POD XT???
i JUST sold my V-amp Pro and i still own a Vamp2

i chose the v-amp2 over POD version 2.0 but i have yet to have played the POD XT.

i will be using a combonation of mic'ing and using direct when recording.

I've tried them all. Got a friend with an XT and the thing is I just don't hear that much difference between any of the modelers. They all have to be tweaked to the point where they start sounding any good. One modeler that I've only played a little is the Vox Tonelab. Need to give that one some more time but it sounded Ok and a lot of people really like them.

The thing that I pick up on XT's is I think the cleans are a little better than the V-Amp but the distortions are pretty close, too close to call for me.

if i were to get an POD xt which would be the better way to hook it up to my setup

POD output to presonus firebox input

or

POD to USB port

HungPhat said:
if i were to get an POD xt which would be the better way to hook it up to my setup

POD output to presonus firebox input

or

POD to USB port

I use S/PDIF out to S/PDIF in on my Delta card.

Does the Firebox have S/PDIF? I would go that route if you can.

therage! said:
I use S/PDIF out to S/PDIF in on my Delta card.

Does the Firebox have S/PDIF? I would go that route if you can.

i know the vamp pro had that but ive sold it...
i only have the vamp2 which doesnt have it and i dunno if the POD Xt does either.

im pretty sure the Firebox has S/PDIF

pardon my ignorance but what is S/PDIf?

JazzMasterWil said:
I was curious about this aswell.... How do you like your firebox? You do you think it was a pretty good buy?

i havent actually gotten it yet...i ordered it off ebay bout 2 weeks ago.(i live in australia)
my pci firewire card only just arrived today...so i can connect it up when it arrives...
i havent been able to do any recordings yet : ( still using my zoom MRS1044

HungPhat said:
i know the vamp pro had that but ive sold it...
i only have the vamp2 which doesnt have it and i dunno if the POD Xt does either.

im pretty sure the Firebox has S/PDIF

pardon my ignorance but what is S/PDIf?

Digital connection. That way you can stay 24 bit digital into your DAW and not go through an A/D conversion.

There isn't a S/PDIF out on the Pod Xt, only on the Pod Xt pro. I don't find the usb out on my pod useful at all for recording, theres too much latency. I run it into the line in on my firepod and it sounds pretty good. The usb is good for controling and making patches on your computer for your xt though.

wx3 said:
There isn't a S/PDIF out on the Pod Xt, only on the Pod Xt pro. I don't find the usb out on my pod useful at all for recording, theres too much latency. I run it into the line in on my firepod and it sounds pretty good. The usb is good for controling and making patches on your computer for your xt though.

so...using just a normal 1/4 inch guitar cable...left/right output from POD into Front line input of Firebox/Firepod will do the trick

therage! said:
I use a V-Amp pro quite a bit. I've also got 4 tube amps I use and I believe modelers have a place in the studio. Normally I do like how miked amps sound in the mix but modelers can really take some work. The presets almost always suck bad so you have to spend time to create your own settings and that requires a LOT of experimenting.

A modeler can really come in handy when you can't crank up amps and you can always come back and record with your amps later. A lot of times I get an idea and I can quickly just fire up my modeler and get down my idea. I will always find use for them. But they still do not sound as good as the real thing and they probably never will. They are what they are, another tool to use.

Amen to that. I use my V-AMP pro alot to lay down scratch tracks when recording and also to get ideas down, or when I am trying to work out a song.
I personally think the V-AMP has a better sound for really heavy, high gain stuff, but the POD seems to sound real good for stuff that doesn't need a lot of bottom end or "heaviness" to it ( I have heard some real nice satch and vai type tones with the POD).

im starting to regret selling my Vamp PRO now.

i still have the Vamp2...

question...

how do i get tones from the tone library on the behringer site onto hte vamp2????

Back