pod x3 vs pdi-03

NCdan

I'm a one-man band trying to find the best way (aka most practical and budget friendly way) to upgrade my "studio." I'm happy with my drums, but my vox, guitar, and bass tracks are lacking. I just can't crank an amp and I'm not satisfied going direct with bass. On top of that I can't afford a really nice preamp or acoustic treatment for recording great vox.

So, I'm sure that the pdi-03 will provide the more organic tone for guitar and bass. I do have a really nice guitar and guitar amp as well as a good bass. I would just use the pdi-03 to replace a speaker for my guitar amp and will just go directly into it with the bass. This doesn't do anything for vocals, though, and I really don't know how happy I will be with it for bass.

The pod x3 gives me much more tweakability. I'm sure the guitar tones won't be as good or real as they would be with the pdi-03, but I'm sure that the pod x3 will be a better solution for vox and possibly bass.

And there is my dilemma: which one do I go with? I record mostly hardcore punk and reggae, think something like Bad Brains. Some of you may think they are both good choices while others probably think that one is vastly superior to the other. This is tough for me to decide because I am considering bass, guitar, and vox.

Oh yeah, I would appreciate it if people who had experience with the pod (whatever one) and analog speaker simulators would comment.

Last edited:
Has no one here who's used digital modeling also tried a speaker simulator? I guess it boils down to how good Line 6's modeling is for bass amps and vocal preamps. Surely someone can comment on that? Thanks.

:D

Greetings,

I've tried digital sims, plug-ins and amps thru emulators (Palmer PDI-03, Marshall SE100, GrooveTubes SEII) and for the truest guitar sounds (without miking) have come from the emulators (with a good tube amp). If set right, it gets closest to the amp sound (according to my ears). Remember...emulators produce no ambience so you will get the 'raw-dry' sound like a mic placed close to the speakers. You have to add that post emulation. With the pod, vox se and boss units, the tone generators can create some decent guitar prime sounds but lot of the sale is with the effects. Personally the vox se and boss units have served me to get some ok sounds. Pod 'Air' emulation sometimes sounds to far back in the mix.

Just wanted to say that like any recording scenario, 'any' tone can be useable depending on the recording context. Even those farty, buzzy sounds sometimes have a place but for that full on organic tone that sounds like an amp, the emulators win hands down.

Bass sounds: I've just used a decent DI with compression (very important) added later on the board so the bass doesn't overpower the sound. I get an ok bass sound with this setup. I don't like to use a preamp to the bass tone because it tends to add unwanted color. If I can find a very transparent one I'll change my mind for sure.

Vocal preamps? Not sure?

Good luck on your search.

My bass player has the X3 and it is mega versatile. It is not my favorite sounding piece for guitar but it can get decent tones. I prefer my amp. Bass and vocals are okay through it as the pres are clean.

Back