Pod vs. J-Station vs. anything else with D1600

rogerwilco

I'm planning on getting a Korg D1600 recorder and play a lot of guitar-based music, so a friend suggested I get a Pod to shape my guitar sounds before they go into the machine. I've also seen the J-Station out there, as well as some other similar-looking things. Has anybody tried a bunch of these, and do you have a preference? Also, if anyone's got a D1600, how are the guitar effects--can I get good sounds without a Pod-like unit? Thanks for any input.

Do a search (in particular in the guitar forum). There has been much discussion on the POD vs J-Station debate.

The general opinions seem to be the POD simulates Amps better but the J-Station has better effects.

I have a POD and have been very satisfied (most people who have PODS seem to like them) - but, there are many J-Station fans on this site as well.

Try em' both - trust your ears.

I don't know anything about the Korg (other then the ads I've seem)

pod's are nice but i wouldnt use one for guitar based music. j-stations play nice enough but again i wouldnt use one for guitar based music. Now on the other hand if your using a pod mixed in a recording of many instruments and using it to supply a rhythm or a wacky effect go for it.
or if you want the best possible sound for guitar driven music try a marshall super lead with a nice guitar ie. gibson ect...
however for most this is unrealstic and too expensive not forgetting the price of mics ect... and hence a stupid response on my part.
so forget everything ive just said if you dont want to save for a lifetime. i spent tooooo much money on alot of crap because i was trying to find the "elusive" tone of the greats... eventually i purchased a 1969 super lead and a Sg and found the tone that i had spent double the amount searching for.
in conclusion, pod's sound good but just good and nothing more to my ears. most cant tell the difference and more and more artists are using them on their cd's anymore. im sure even hendrix would use one but not in the traditional sense... maybe he'd burn it on stage...

Pod and J-Station are both great....J-Station is cheaper, has better effects, has S/PDIF output,acoustic and bass models.......

Hi rogerwilco,

for me that´s a very easy question:
I tried out both the Pod and the J-Station!
Even though the POD has more and probably more realistic vintage Amp models, the J-Staion (now own) is more for the guitarplayer who needs a dynamic sound, remember the J-Staion is 24 Bit, 44,1 kHz SP/DIF out, so if you can afford it J-Staion +POD, but for playing and recording guitar it´s the J-Station for less of the half msrp!!!

Try to get one of the last J-Staions, I did!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest the money for the Korg into your PC. I did after pissing away lots money & found the next best thing to the big league. Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 = $180 / good sound card = $150 / at least 256 sdram & at least a 700mhz pentium. But if you don't have a PC close to these specs I've wasted our time.

By the way, I like the POD. It's warm & packs a lot of ODs & distorsions but not so hot on clean tones, Boss GT-3 can do that very well.

rogerwilco-

fugget about a friggin' Pod or J(ack off) station. Get a real amp, with real tubes. You won't be dissed.

I just use the J-Station for homerecording, because my neighbours wouldn´t like to hear a real tube amp miced in my bedroom! And onthe other hand I don´t have the money/space for 10-30 real amps...

I have heard a comparison between the POD and J-station, quess who came out on top... THE POD. The POD sound has much more depth to it. But the J-station also sounds good, Greg Howe uses the J-station for his recordings.

Greg Howe

having finally bought a korg d12 (the smaller brother of the d1600 with virtually identical handling), i'm now using my pod 2.0
to go directly into the korg using two unbalanced 1/4" patches for stereo spread on certain effect settings.

in case you're concerned about noise and hum, let me tell you how easy it is to minimize those by simply using the pod output level, and korg mic pre input level trim pots and faders in a reasonable fashion...

don't listen to them folks telling you "there ain't nothing like a real marshall stack..."

believe me, if you're into clean to mildly overdriven vintage amp sounds and willing to concentrate on laying down the best possible, song-based performance on track, there's nothing like it...it's able to deliver about as much of that so desired "dynamic range" as one human guitarist's fingers are able to produce...

i dare any of those fullstack afficionados around here to be able to pinpoint a pod within a song mix of maybe 8 or 9 tracks...

d1600 and direct recording of guitar

i have a d1600 and i really like it...i have recorded some fantastic guitar sounds. i used a condenser mic (a Nady...79 bucks through musicians friend) on a pevey bandit transtube amp. i was blown away at how acurate the sound reproduction was. i have recorded direct alot too (boss me10 multi-effects) and i will say this....i haven't been able to get as good a sound direct (too harsh and processed sounding...and if you try to eq the highs it gets muddy). get a fantastic sound coming out of your amp and hang a good quality mic in front of the speaker if your picky about you sound (which i am). oh...and as for the guitar effects in the d1600 they work beautifully on a pre-recorded guitar track, very transparent and great sound quality, but, i tried recording some stuff direct using the on-board guitar effects and it sounded like all the other times i've recorded direct.
hope i was of some help to you
jimi

J-Station!!!!!

I've owned both, and for the money, the J-Station is a better buy. The effects are great and very flexible. Having guitar and bass amps in one module is nice also.

Over the time I have owned my POD, I have increasingly been using it pretty clean, with distortion pedals, like I would with a real amp. I find that this gives a far better distorted tone. I don't know why this is, but it's just what I've found. For killer clean sounds, try the JTM45 model, the Plexi Model, the AC15 or AC30 models, or the Matchless model. The Matchless in particular, a little less than halfway up, with a decent tube distortion pedal (chandler tube driver or tubeworks real tube overdrive or even one of those tube Ibanez pedals, the Tube King) and you are in lead guitar heaven. Other good choices include the Rat pedal, for heavier sounds, a Big Muff Pi, a tube screamer, or any of the many boutique overdrives out there.

I thought the POD would get me out of this gear accumulation world, but really I have bought probably ten more pedals since I got it. And they all sound great through it. Just remember to try different cabinets with different amp models... and don't expect it to be something it's not.

guitar sounds from the D1600

I have a D1600 and have finally found a way to get a decent distorted guitar sound recorded. I just go direct from my effects (Zoom 505II, EQ pedal, Bellari MP105) and then record my track in stereo (1 left, 1 right) and then come back and add Amp Simulator from the 1in/1out x8 effects part. It sounds pretty good when you EQ and add a little chorus to thicken it up. Anyway, it's pretty good, but no sub for a Shure SM57 in front of an amp. Hope this helps and if any other D1600 users know of any other tricks, let me know. It's an awesome machine. I'm still learning myself.

There are many intresting solutions to old sounds out there id say for what they cost they aint bad i guess it depends if you want effects or something to copy the sounds of famous amps.

if you cant afford it go for the solutions out on the market but always let your ears be the judge forget all the sales hype and bs just try it out if you like it buy it if not leave it be and save the dollars for real gear

the stuff i like using for amps id use either a fender v65 twin for crisp clean sounds a musicman RD 130 for a more blues feel
and ole 60,s marshall head and box for rock or rock n roll also like the small mesa boogie combo amps of the past you know the ones that ran a 15 and had eq onboard i forget the model but they screamed other nice amps the mesa boogie dual rectifier vox ac 30 or ac 100 if you can find one :-)

effects wise tube screamers 808,s that is, old big muff pedals not the new ones tese real mc coy wha pedals an old fuzz face etc

guitarwise i can go on about this forever but i wont early to mid 60,s us made epiphone solid body guitars made in the usa and with some tweaking you got something as good as a 60,s gibson and nowhere near the price get one of these guitars between 62 and 67 and tell me then you aint got that vintage sound you want if you are smart you will pick up the lot at a good price you just got to save those bills and wait then pounce when the deal presents its self and believe me good deals do come along usually when you and i dont have the money so save away and forever smile when you find your pot of gold :-))):cool:

Back