POD pro vs. ADA MICROCAB soundbytes needed !!!!!

Cherokeee

Hi there,

to this day I still use my ADA Microcab unit for amp simulation when I record my guitars direct.(putting in the ADA MP-2 as a preamp) Now that I´ve heard all this rave about the "oh so great POD sound" I m really considering to give this little baby a shot. The problem is - I cant find any meaningful soundsamples of the POD´s performance on the Net. Before I think about buying this thing I need to know if its sounds so much more convincing than my ADA.

...anybody out there got a decent link to soundbytes that show the POD´s sound when it´s recorded direct. (without any microphone involved) ???

Has anybody out there owned both devices and can give me a objective comparison ???

any help would be welcome.

Chris

store

i checked out pod through headphones at the store where i bought it. Whats great about the pod device is the clean tones are very realistic. always for me the best way to check out any amplification system is to listen to it at the store with my guitar.

well, basically just the raw distorted sounds that I get when I would plug this thing directly into my Harddisc-Multitracker. In some reviewmagazines they always used to mike this thing and talked only about its amp modelling qualities but I wanna know/hear more about its "direct recording qualities"-

Chris

P.S. they say the POD pro has stereo line outputs- Can the line out signal be enhanced to a nice dry stereo (all over-) Guitar sound then.?? or is that just for the insertion of various effects.

Chris

Unfortunately there´s no bigger music store near my place so- just goin somewhere an checking the thing out for myself would be to much of a hassle at this point...

buy a pod

pod has the best sound of any direct box i have ever used.
I don't use it for playing live music as is usually the case with digital boxes it doesn't sound nearly as good as a good amp set up. You can record stereo outs or mono it has many other features to numerous to mention but i love it because i can get a good recorded guitar sound without having to record a mike to amp and have to find a new place to live.
I don't recommend it for live situations also because it requires a pedal board which with the pod costs over 700.00............which will buy an excellent tube amp.
if you are primarily just looking for distorted tones i would shop around ,,,,pod has lots of distorted settings , fuzz tones grunge etc but it's real forte is modeling specific amp sounds....I use a mesa boogie and the pod modeled rectifier really sounds like a mesa amp

I've heard about guys who use the thing live instead of an amp and plug straight in to the P.A.

The clean tones really are nice.

It should be good seeing it costs the same as an average amp.

The guitarist in my band now uses the POD live. I was very sceptical initially but I have been won over. It actually sounds pretty good, although not as good as dedicated amplifiers of the types modelled, who can carry around multiple amp and speaker configurations? The POD offers a great deal of flexibility especially when used with the pedal board and permits greater control over the backline volume and overall mix. The real test of these units seems to be that sound where the amp is just distoring a little (the blues type valve sound / Larry Carlton electric sound), the POD has a good attempt at this sound, if you want thrash distortion you probobly dont need it and may be able to find cheaper alternatives.

Cherokeee said:
well, basically just the raw distorted sounds that I get when I would plug this thing directly into my Harddisc-Multitracker. In some reviewmagazines they always used to mike this thing and talked only about its amp modelling qualities but I wanna know/hear more about its "direct recording qualities"-

Chris

P.S. they say the POD pro has stereo line outputs- Can the line out signal be enhanced to a nice dry stereo (all over-) Guitar sound then.?? or is that just for the insertion of various effects.

Charger...Nice Tunes.

Cherokee (Chris),

When you hear the term Modelling as it refers to the POD they are talking about direct recording and its ability to model or emulate the sound of various amps / enclosures mic'd directly. As for the question regarding the Stereo outs, I am a bit confused but would like to help if you can clarify. Below is a link of a song that I am working on. The guitars were recorded direct to ADAT via the POD.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1283/singles

PS. Can you post some of the ADA so I can hear some of the tones you use?

Fangar

Re: great tones fangar

kennedy connor said:
what settings are you using on the lead part?

Thanks Kennedy,

One that I tweeked quite a bit. I just found out how to get the knob setting (memory) by pressing some buttons. I will get them for you tomorrow.

Fangar

Back