POD pro and MOTU 828 probs...

Rhoadz

hey.

I just dropped a sizable chuck of $$$ on my new set-up and im already having problems.

Here is the gear:

-Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. 1ghz, 256 meg RAM-brand new and really sweet.

-POD pro

-MOTU 828 firewire interface

The 828 spdif won't recognize an input signal from the s/pdif output on the pod. It's not a sync problem yet, there no signal to be out of sync.

I have run other s/pdif into the 828...all is good.
I can also get a signal from the spdif on the pod to my SB live spdif in.

tech supports are jerking me around b/c it seems the individual components work, just not together.

any thoughts?

isn't all spdif created equal ?

thanks- mike

Digital I/O protocols are NOT created equal!

Shortly after buying my Masterlink, I was looking forward to doing some digital transfers from my Tascam DA-40 to the Masterlink. Both supported AES/EBU and S/PDIF protocols and it should have been as simple as putting a digital cable between each one. It wasn't............ they simply wouldn't talk to each other. Period. I called tech support for each company and they each blamed the other for being non-standard in their digital I/O implementation... I had 2 techs (1 from Tascam and 1 from Alesis) calling me to perform diagnostics for them trying to prove the other company's I/O was at fault.... it was actually quite funny for the week that it went on, until I got fed-up and said "look... you guys duke it out between the 2 of you, I just want to find a way to make this work!" They didn't have an answer.... I went to my local dealer and started trying digital converters - found the Midiman CO3 - if I put the CO3 between the 2 units, it worked properly.... I called both companies back and told them I had a fix... never heard from them again (regarding that particular problem.)

...to this day, I have no idea if the Masterlink plays nicely with Tascam's digital I/O, but oh well - at least I got it working!

So no, AES/EBU or S/PDIF does not always equal AES/EBU or S/PDIF!!!

Bruce

man that's a bummer too. I was thinking about the midiman CO2 as a pass through as well. If it worked for you mabey i'll get lucky.

mike

it worked

I don't know why...but the CO2 allows the 828 and the Pod Pro to play nice w/ each other.

so much for 'standard' formats

Inspiron 8000-MOTU 828 & Software

Hi Rhoadz,
I am glad I found your post. (I posted a MOTU 828 info request under soundcards).

I made the purchase of an Inspiron 8000 as well. I am fairly new to Digital Audio, and would appreciate any tips you may have...web sites...on line stores for recording equipment. I have been looking for a couple months at purchasing the 828, but have held back a little to try to find out more information on the 828 from users.

Are you satisfied with your software and the 828? Cakewalk has been recommended to me. Do you recommend any software that is real time, and an easy learning curve. I would like to have an acceptable product when finished. At least demo acceptable.

I am under the impression that MOTU has been pretty much a Mac based product. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
ZZman

i think that home recording w/ laptops is just now becoming feasable for jokers like me. However. it is has been much more work to get my laptop setup working that it took for my first couple of desktop systems. fact of life when using new tech.

anywho. the 828 and the hammerfall RME were the 2 cards i was considering. the 828 was more affordable and fit into my rack allowing for semi mobility. While MOTU has a huge mac line, they've been supporting my PC efforts fairly well. The 828 and the 8000 have a slight snafu. Something to do with the firewire controller sharing the video adapter irq. I'll still working with dell to fix that one. The 828 is one of kind (IMHO) and perfect for my needs and i'm still confident i can make the combo work. so stay tuned.

i use cakewalk. you'll hear good and bad. Just check some demos. I'm used to it and don't feel like buying into another product line. - that sums up my cakewalk opinion,

Like i said i'm still working on some bugs with the 828, 8000 sonar combo. But all the companies have been helpful. These are their newest products and they want to fix these bugs before people like me bad mouth 'em to people like you:)

Some things i'm still working on/considering:

-828 and 8000 firewire IRQ probs (check the MOTU support site, they'll explain)
-SONAR is a bitch to configure for good performance compared to my experience with cake pro audio 8 and 9. i might go back to 9
- i'm not totally sold on Win ME. but hey. i toyed with wiping the 8000 and using 98 SE but that sounded like too much work.

Good luck. I think the stuff you are looking at is doable for a good home rec setup. Just be willing to trouble shoot. This is not as plug and play s the companies want to make it sound. Drop me an e-mail if you need specific help or run into stuff i've mentioned here.

mike

Well I'm soon going to have this setup too(Dell Inspiron 8000, MOTU 828, Maxtor 80GB Firewire Hard Drive) so I'm prepared to have some headaches in order to have this awesome setup working right. I posted a question in the Dell Support site and basically the only good information I got off of it was that installing Win2000 again in non-ACPI mode should fix this problem. I was told the reason a bunch of devices are all grouped together on IRQ 9 is for ACPI-power saving reasons. If you do install Win2000 in non-ACPI mode you may/probably will lose some of the power saving functions of that. Maybe we can install in non-ACPI mode than switch it back on or find some way to switch it off without reinstalling Win2000, I don't know. I also saw some stuff on the Web were installing a seperate Firewire Bus(via PCMCIA) would fix this and I 've seen these as low as $40 recently. Kind of hokey though, adding another Firewire interface to fix this problem. If you came across some other solutions please Email me or post them here, thanks.

Yes, that's where I first found out about this particular problem. I actually haven't ordered it yet but I'm going Saturday to a store that carries them and hopefully I can bargin them down otherwise I already found a good price on the Web.

MOTU 828 order

Hi,
I have been looking at the MOTU 828 in discount catalogs and on websites. It is always good to remember, tech support will be a big part of the equipment. You may want to check with the dealer and how much service they provide after the sale.
ZZ

Has anybody found a fix for the 828 and Inspiron 8000 IRQ problem? I am deep in the middle of this problem but so far no
luck on my end.

Back