POD or GT-5 or GT-3: best for DI recording?

Martin Bostock

Hello everyone,

I'm another refugee from the VS Planet, and I'd like to say thanks to all you guys for welcoming us. Losing a place you visit 2 or 3 times a day for vital advice is a hell of a shock.

Meanwhile, I wonder if any of you guitar players have any views on multi-effects which work well with DI-ing to a digital recorder (1680 in my case).

I have read rave reviews of the Line 6 POD, and the Roland GT-5 and GT-3.

Does anyone have a view on which of these produces the most authentic 'valve amp' sounds, which is what I'm really after (effects are secondary, I guess).

I don't gig any more, so live sound is not as important as a great recorded sound for me.

All opinions welcome,

Thanks,

Martin

POD. Almost everyone here that has posted in other similar threads has chosen the POD for direct recording. It is truly amazing to me what it can sound like direct. Check some of the other forums for POD topics, and you'll run into lots of answers concerning this. I still don't think it sounds better than a nicely miked quality tube amp, but for $259 US and recording it direct I haven't heard anything that's even close.

If you want to hear the POD running direct to a VS880, check out my POD Song Experiment in the MP3 Mixing clinic: https://homerecording.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000391.html. Just read my disclaimer concerning the parts of the song that are really messed up. :) Also, I think Teddie uses the POD direct for all his stuff. He's got several tunes posted in there recently.

And welcome to HR.com from the VS Planet. I'm looking forward to what good stuff you guys can bring to this already excellent BBS. The Roland forum should be even stronger in advice for sure.

Thanks very much for the welcome and the information JonX.

You've confirmed what I have heard elsewhere about the POD. I know there's no substitute to trying things out with your own gear but that's not always possible.

And I think your POD track is just amazing... just listened to it through three times.

Thanks again,

Martin

[This message has been edited by Martin Bostock (edited 06-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Martin Bostock (edited 06-05-2000).]

Martin...there used to be some POD sound samples somewhere on the homepage. Dig around and you'll be able to hear some casual POD sounds. Keep in mind that the POD can be tweaked beyond what you will hear in those samples.

Ya, they're still there. Look under equipment reviews. Then look down near the bottom of the POD page.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 06-17-2000).]

Back