POD latency

Atwork

Okay, what's the concensus? Is there latency when playing through the POD? i.e. a delay between hitting the string and hearing the sound. I thing there is but I know how easy it is to fool yourself with this sort of thing. The link includes a post - it's near the end - which quotes from an article which says latency on the POD is 1.7 microseconds. Unfortunately, the link to the original article is broken.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=5833&highlight=pod+latency

I don't know about the original pods, but I hear no latency with the XT- unless ofcourse I have a delay mod on...

I would think that the best the POD can do (at 44.1K sample rate) is 1/44100 which is 22.6 micro seconds. Assuming a 1 sample delay between input and output, which is probably optimistic. Even this amount is negligible.

If you're 6 feet from your amp the delay from speaker to ear is (1 / (1100 ft/sec)) 909 microseconds per foot so 6*909e-6 is 5.45 miliseconds. A lot longer than 1.7 microseconds.

no latency.

i notice more latency from my mesa boogie mark 2b, from the tube sag, than the processing from the podXT.

when playing live with my Pod XT I wear in ears and I dont hear and latency. I hear it when I hit it, get it!!!

No latency that one can recognize. I do digital recording with DAWs, I would have caught it, if it was interfering with the recording.

Early PODS HAD LATENCY PROBLEMS!!!

Hey Atwork, You are not losing it. There is a latency problem with the earlier versions of the bean POD. Sounds like they have cleaned that up from 2.0 on, or possibly earlier. I know that the POD XT has no latency, as well as the 2.0. But yes the early versions did, and it was totally noticable, even to non musicians. I was in a band quite a while back and my guitarist-counterpart guy was using the POD, like right when it came out. He asked me if i could notice when i played on his rig, and i told him i could see it. So it was very noticable. Hope you figure something out...tell Line6 service department to send you an XT for your pain and suffering. XT is the SHIT!!!!!

I'd research a bit more M8, the version I posted about was the 2.1 version of the rom chip.
As I see it, the delay/latency is inherent/symptomatic of the A/D D/A CONVERSION, I 'm curious as to whether the older versions, or XT really have done away with it, also be aware that the delay is sooo small that I can't really hear it whilst just playing through the unit.
The phenomena manifested as phase while doing the multi amp recording, I doubt I would've ever noticed otherwise.

Back