POD HD and Yamaha HSM 80 with Cubase 7.5

Platriani

Hi folks,

I just spent a fortune upgrading my gear to POD HD, Yamaha HSM80, windows 7 and cubase 7.5 (paid for). I'm really disappointed with the guitar sound, was expecting to sound epic, but barely a step up from my previous setup of cubase SX and pod xt.

Am I doing something wrong? Are the hsm80s not a substitute for an amp? I thought the POD HD would give me great tones, but everything sound dull/compressed in a bad way (it's ok, but nothing like the quality of even youtube vids of people using the pod)....but I'm not sure if they use an amp or monitors......

Any advice? Is it just the pre sets are crap, and I have to edit a good sound, or are the hsm80s never going to get the best out of.my pod HD?

I'm a bit disappointed at the moment, I'm after an epic lead guitar tone (macro spotlight or similar)

Maybe I have to use the pod with my fender hotrod deluxe, and mic it up for recording...but kinda defeats the purpose of why I go for the pod for easy recording.

Many thanks.

From what I've heard the POD HD presets are never very good. I've heard it takes a month or two for most users to completely understand how to dial in their PODs as well. You can check out the Line 6 website, I believe there's a section of the site where users can upload their POD HD patches and other people can download them and load them onto their PODs. That being said, those patches can be a hit or miss too. But don't give up yet, I've heard some demos of PODs sounding incredible with the proper tweaking.

I actually dislike the HD stuff more than the older stuff. But that's probably not what you want to hear.

What kind of tones are you after?

You can download user patches from the customtone section of line6.com, but really play with the settings to find the tone you want. You're always going to get people detracting from Line6 (or any sim). The question is - can you get sounds/tones you like for whatever type of music you are playing?

Back