POD 2 better than the newer POD XT?

etnoziroh

This is specifically regarding Hi-gain and Metal Sounds. I'm aware of the excellent effects, improved "clean" sounds and flexibility of the new POD XT.

I'm looking into buying a POD XT and setting aside my V-amp2.
I heard some demos with the POD XT and they sound amazing but even on the line 6 forums lots of people say the Hi-gain sounds on the Newer XT are fizzy/fuzzier that the POD 2. Is this the case? At the very least I expect the sounds to stay the same but from reading, more than a few people are dissapointed with the Hi gain settings on the POD XT. I'm almost considering not giving up on the V-amp or just buying the POD 2.

Anyone know anything about this?

I think this is all down to personal preference. I have both and the 2.0 has some benefits (IMO a more spongy, open kind of sound) It's harder to get an awesome heavy metal crunch (good low gain crunch with it) but other sounds are good. The XT on the other hand has awesome high gain sounds, very tight (but can also sound closed in a good way) and very focused. But make sure you are using the version 2 firmware of the XT because the version 1 firmware doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Also, Line 6 has recently released a selection of "Model Packs", including one containing a number of metal amplifier models such as bogners and diezels.

Basically, try em both out, but the XT is slightly more versatile, if lacking a certain few sounds.

Hope I helped
Joe

P.S Regarding the model packs, I haven't actually tried them but I'm sure there are people on the Line 6 forums who have....

Thanks SuperJunior, that's just what I needed to hear.

I read all about the model packs and most of the demos I really enjoyed were made with them so I'm gonna get ready to fork out some extra cash cash for them.

The POD xt is running about US$850,00 here due to goverment import tax, distribution logistics and store profit. About a months salary of a young professional here. I don't want to make a very costly mistake so I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. :D

The other guitarist in my band has a Pod XT Live. We are a hardcore/metal band and the sound is amazing. Recorded directly from the Pod XT Live, the sound was amazing and clear. Best hardcore sound I've ever heard.

POD XT version 2 firmware

SuperJunior said:
But make sure you are using the version 2 firmware of the XT because the version 1 firmware doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

How do you get the firmware upgrade? I bought a POD XT used and wasn't aware that upgrades were available.

etnoziroh:

Hey no problem, just glad I could help, we all have to make decisions about gear and the internet is the best place to get advice :D

nuemes:
You can download the upgrade from Line 6's official site. Click on products then its the link at the top, you can't miss it. Then link up your XT by USB and put the software on your XT.

Joe

I'm pretty much just getting into guitar work, and the guitar player of our former band (i'm a dj at heart).. used an old spider amp and a pod gen 1. I loved his sound.. but I wonder if it would be a hinderence in my learning progress. But as a dj i love options and dials. I'm looking for a good way to work with a lot of sounds all at once. Would this be a fair assumption of the Pod products? I'm not going for a vintage sound (like everybody else seems to do) and I'll prob do a lot of work running it thru some of my dj gear before it even hits the tracking stage. any thoughts on other products that work well with the pod. and in just getting started.. should i shell out the extra bucks and get the pod xt, pod 2, or pod 1 just getting started?

Well I gotta say, if you love options and dials, XT all the way, so much more tweakability :D And I also love DJ + Keyboard stuff too (a friend of mine is a DJ) which is why I'm considering getting a Roland Guitar Synth :D

Joe

Why exactly do you need a POD for? Studio, live?

I have a PODxt that I use primarly for recording guitar ideas and demos and what not. The POD 2.0 definitely has better overdriven tones. And if you want a whole slew of effects to mess with, and not mind a sub-standard guitar tone, then yeah, a POD is right up your alley.

But then, back to my first question. Is it mostly for live or recording?

For live use with a lot of effects a PODxt Live would make the most sense. But if you're not heavily dependent on effects then it's a toss up between the PODxt and the POD 2.0. - do you want a fancier interface or a more natural sounding overdrive?

Or maybe you just need to go all out and buy an all tube setup with whatever effects you need. :D You'd be a lot happier, and a lot poorer.

With the PODxt they made pretty drastic changes. They introduced A.I.R. II (Line6's way of simulating miked cabs) and they also added the ability to choose what system the PODxt is interacting with. So you can tell it that you're connecting directly to a mixer, to Bose's personal amplifcation system, a variety of cab configurations, pre-amps, power amps, etc. And with the introduction of these new systems somewhere along the line the sound quality suffered.

The POD 2.0 is a much more direct application, a lot less features/components helps to conclude a more organic sound. (Just like how the best sounding heads are often the heads with the less amount of knobs that are involved in the signal).

Not to mentoin I've A/B'd both the POD 2.0 and the PODxt. The reason I went with the PODxt is because I wanted a more desktop friendly unit with the option of recording via USB. The cleans were matched, but POD 2.0's overdriven tones were much better.

Another side note, there are a lot of professional bands that play with the POD 2.0 and a PA system (anyone remember The Presidents of the United States of America?). I also had the pleasure to meet one of Gibson's reps who had an extensive history of touring with big acts during the 80s and still does guitar clinics today. He said all he uses is a Gibson Les Paul (of course), the POD 2.0, a cabinet simulator, and a PA system. He couldn't be happier.

POD 2.0 = cheaper, simpler, better overdrive/distortion.

Back