Pocketman (Pokemon Theme Song parody)

Spritey

My friends and I are going to be starting a YouTube channel with a bunch of various flash series. One of these is Pocketman, a bad ripoff of Pokemon that is set in Soviet Russia.

Out of context, it makes absolutely no sense. In context, it hardly makes any sense either. So just focus on the mix itself :P

This is my first mix in quite awhile, and I think it's pretty good for what I have to work with (a POD Studio GX, a Blue Yeti, a set of decent multimedia speakers, EZDrummer, and a few dozen free plugins)

Everything was recorded/played by me. I tried to get rid of the stereotypical "EZDrummer sound" as much as possible.

I'll probably be adding onto it to make an extended version, but this is the version that will be used in the opening.

Also, here's a slightly older version with the bass turned up more. I can't decide which one I like more.

Let me know what you think!

Hehe. I don't like the drum sounds, particulary the snare, and I think you should bring the vocals down a notch or two.

And for the love of god I hope you use your talent for other purposes as well.

Hehe. I don't like the drum sounds, particulary the snare, and I think you should bring the vocals down a notch or two.

And for the love of god I hope you use your talent for other purposes as well.

What don't you like about the drums?

And yeah, I'm in the process of recording more "serious" music too. I just seem to do better on stupid things for some reason.

i love this. especially when it goes into the reggae part. the first one sounds better to me. like you said, the drums are a bit cheesy but for what you're using it for i it doesn't matter.

I guess they sound too 1980ish with an overly compressed snare. Might just be a matter of personal taste. Other than that the performance is good. It is ridiculous and I mean that in the best way :D But bring down those vocals.

i love this. especially when it goes into the reggae part. the first one sounds better to me. like you said, the drums are a bit cheesy but for what you're using it for i it doesn't matter.

Well, I'll be using EZDrummer for my more serious music as well (can't really afford a real drummer, considering I already have to hire brass musicians since basically everything I play is ska)

So I'd appreciate some advice on how to make the drums sound less cheesy, haha

I guess they sound too 1980ish with an overly compressed snare. Might just be a matter of personal taste. Other than that the performance is good. It is ridiculous and I mean that in the best way :D But bring down those vocals.

It's all part of the style, really. I tried to emulate the original pretty closely while also adding my own flare.

Glad you like it though. I'll see what I can do about the vocals.

It's all part of the style, really. I tried to emulate the original pretty closely while also adding my own flare.

Glad you like it though. I'll see what I can do about the vocals.

Well I've never heard the original and I do not intend to either. I use Addictive Drums and prefer the sound of that to any other. Most kits do not sound good but there are a few that sounds pretty close the real deal once you bring the room mics down a bit.

I usually mute the room mic entirely. Most of the "body" comes from the overheads, and any reverb that I add

Back