Plugs and such

imecho40

I have inhereted an old reel to reel tape player along with some 40 year old tapes of family get togethers. I would like to burn them to a cd.I have some experience with ripping lp's to cd's but not reel to reel tapes. My first question is if I can get an adapter plug at Radio Shack to connect my tape player out (which has the old rca plug,I think) to a plug that fits to the input to my sound card.Sorry to sound so ignorant,but the sales folks at Radio Shack get confused.I need to know exactly what to ask for....Thank you.:)

Without knowing what kind of sound card you have this is a guess, but I suspect you need a y-cord with 1/8" stereo on one end to 2 RCA's on the other.

Thanks. That sounds right.I think the audio is mono though.The labels on the box say "Side 1 track 1, and side 1 track 2".
The other side is labelled "Side 2 track 1,and side 2 track 2."

imecho40 said:
Thanks. That sounds right.I think the audio is mono though.The labels on the box say "Side 1 track 1, and side 1 track 2".
The other side is labelled "Side 2 track 1,and side 2 track 2."

The tracks here I think asumed to the SONGS number, not mono / stereo things. Better check what's the output connection type of your old reel tape player. If you have only one RCA type, then it must be MONO out. If you have it two (L&R) it can be stereo...

It has two sets of rca plugs for output,one on each side of the tape reels.This thing was used to record family events like christmas morning, and other holidays from the early sixites. It has two inputs for microphones,but I seem to remember (I was a young boy at this time) only having one microphone. I am trying to see what is on what side,but the tapes are old and very brittle,and the player has not been used in decades. My main goal is to rip these onto a cd so my young nieces and nephews can hear the voices of their parents (some of which are deceased) when they were small children. These tapes were thought to be long lost,but recently turned up.

Back