plugins mac/windows

jmorris

I have waves plugins I've used for years with sonar.I put my mbox2 on my windows xp computer,copy plugins into pt folder and they show up fine. When I connect my mbox2 to my mac g5,place plugins (waves) in pt folder(plugin folder) I cant get them to show in protools. Would there be a possibility that they arew windows based only?

I have waves plugins I've used for years with sonar.I put my mbox2 on my windows xp computer,copy plugins into pt folder and they show up fine. When I connect my mbox2 to my mac g5,place plugins (waves) in pt folder(plugin folder) I cant get them to show in protools. Would there be a possibility that they arew windows based only?

I'll assume this is still the case although I abandon Waves plug-ins years ago.

Waves plug-ins work off of a protection scheme that starts with what they call "The Shell". I never took the time to fully understand what was happening when "The Shell" got installed but I do know a Shell MUST be installed.

Probably safe to say it holds key elements needed for protecting from piracy like the digital ID number of the computer you've installed it on.

Always "install" plug-ins from the original installation folder.

The installation process on a new computer must include the Shell or the plug-in aren't going to run. You'll need to wrestle with the WAVES boys to determine what version of the plug-ins/Shell you need to run on your version of Pro Tools. That and be prepared for being slapped with a upgrade cost.

I determined years ago that the Waves WUP program/installation and protection problems and over all pain in the ass wasn't worth moving ahead with those plugs in the future.

YMMV but I've never regretting shaking that company.

PS: For all other plug-ins in the future. Although sometimes "dragging" a plug-in into the plug-in folder actually is all that's required often it is NOT. A questionable plug-in that's been dragged into the folder WITHOUT properly being installed can bring Pro Tools to it's knees.

Last edited:
More basic: he's trying to run PC plugins on a Mac.

They speak different languages.

Like dropping you into the middle of a foreign country and saying "Hey you're all humans so you should be able to communicate right???"

Or putting a VW transmission in an Indy race car.

Or putting a 747 fuel system in a Piper Cub.

Mac's gotta have Mac plugins, PCs gotta have PC plugins....

More basic: he's trying to run PC plugins on a Mac.

They speak different languages.

Like dropping you into the middle of a foreign country and saying "Hey you're all humans so you should be able to communicate right???"

Or putting a VW transmission in an Indy race car.

Or putting a 747 fuel system in a Piper Cub.

Mac's gotta have Mac plugins, PCs gotta have PC plugins....

Well sort of. I take it neither of you buy into my Waves Shell explanation :)

Oh well.

That said when you PROPERLY install your Waves plug-ins as I mentioned in my post :) It will give you the option to use the right code. Mac or PC (that is if it even needs it)

I'll say it again in the spirit of trying to keep you from getting things massively tangled in your PT rig.

WAVES PLUG-INS WILL NOT RUN UNLESS THE WAVES SHELL IS FIRST IN PLACE. The Waves shell must be the proper version to match your current OS and version of Pro Tools. It is the (albeit hotly disputed) method they protect their software.

It wouldn't matter if you copied the correct MAC plug-ins into your Mac. If the copy protection shell isn't there it ain't gonna run.

Just trying to help guys

Last edited:
Hi luckily this is my first post on this site,note that i dont log on but just dont what to say....but here i gat this question for you..

Well sort of. I take it neither of you buy into my Waves Shell explanation :)

Oh well.

LOL. Don't feel bad I think Tim does he just broke it down so that jmorris could understand it.

Oh, and even some digidesign based plugins are platform specific because I purchased some a while back when I was using windows machine, and now that I'm running mac they won't work on it.

LOL. Don't feel bad I think Tim does he just broke it down so that jmorris could understand it.

Oh, and even some digidesign based plugins are platform specific because I purchased some a while back when I was using windows machine, and now that I'm running mac they won't work on it.
oh boy, sounds like you guys think im a bit thick.
Joseph, if I knew enoguh about the "shell" thing I'd tell you if I buy it or not!:pI have not a clue about it or where to find it,them, those.

oh boy, sounds like you guys think im a bit thick.
Joseph, if I knew enoguh about the "shell" thing I'd tell you if I buy it or not!:pI have not a clue about it or where to find it,them, those.

No you misunderstand. The Waves Shell gets installed "behind the scene" when you properly INSTALL the plug-ins from an authorized CD or DVD disk. The key word here is "install". To date it appears that you're dragging plug-ins into a folder and skipping the install process. A recipe for access violaion codes galore.

This is how (at least historically) Waves has keep people from just dragging their software from any old computer to anyone else's computer. It also protects the system from seeing mis-matched software

Always, always, always properly install as well as unistall software. NEVER drag things in or off an Operating System.

RD423, no, no. I do understand how you meant it. I forgot to put the silly smile after so you knew I was kidding, no offence taken.......but I can be really thick on new stuff until it sinks in:p

the waveshell thing is spot on...

when i open protools i see 'loading waveshell dae 5.9.7.dpm' or something like that,

if you have ALL the necessary mac files including the individual plugins and the waveshell dae ***.dpm you should be able to copy them appropriately and get them to work,,,,,BUT a fresh install is always soooo much better and easier.

if it helps, my waves plugins and shells are stored in applications>waves

and the wave shell .dpm file is ALSO in library>application support/digidesign/plugins

These waves plugins I was given on disc from a friend, a copy. I loaded them on my pc's for sonar about 5 years ago, have worked flawless. I would assume it has all the needed "shells" ,exe. files etc as it worked and loaded great for windows but I guess it could be missing needed items for mac

ok,if they're pc versions, i'm 99% sure you need to forget it.

what you need to do is download and pay for mac versions.. they're just totally different,and have a different installer.

eg,you mention .exe files.....a mac won't know what they are, in the same way that xp wont understand a dmg or whatever.

i own and have used both

Yep, like steenamaroo said you have windows versions of your plugins and they will not work on a mac.

Yikes....this has become far more convoluted than it needs to be :)

When you buy (and the operative word here is buy) any Waves plug-in or bundle you DO NOT buy a Mac version verses a PC version. You simply buy the plug-ins. The problem here is the plug-ins in this discussion are not purchased and I've done my very best to be informative without being accusatory :)

The install process (when done from a proper DVD or CD "proper" being the operative word here) will not only A) install the Waves Shell but B) guide you through the proper choices for the correct version install.

I made the original reference to the Waves Shell in hopes those that may indeed have Waves install problems in the future might have some fuel for solutions. Heavens knows those of us that have had to keep up with the "WUP" have had a world of frustrations when it comes to installs.

This ONLY becomes a PC plug-in version verses a Mac plug-in version IF AND ONLY IF one is improperly and illegally and foolishly dragging plug-ins about without first doing a proper install.

Really guys I'm just trying to shed light on the subject..I promise. The issue has NEVER been Mac vs PC.

So Joseph,if I understand you correctly you are saying it isnt a mac or pc compatability it an install issue. More to the point, the way I installed it? I placed the waves plugin disc in drive and copied it to plugin folder. It did not do and "auto run" as I would call it as it would normally do in windows pc. Now, if all I said is accurate, seeing that my mac does not automatically install this disc,what do/can I do? I very well mat be doing something wrong to get it install from disc...remember Im brand new to mac..different world for me.
Thanks,Jim

Hey jmorris,

Pro Tools is an application which is NOT designed to install ANYTHING by dragging and dropping INTO it's internal architecture. If you can't get the installer to run rest assured there's something is wrong on the installer side. Yes there are cracks and work around's that have historically circumvented those rules....always to a problematic end one way or another.

I'm not sure how to get around this but I'll be as polite as I can :) Is your Waves install disk one that was purchased and came from the Waves factory??

Or is it a "copy" of the the plug-ins??

I think I wrote before it is a copy. A friend has a legally purchased copy. I dont know 4, 5 6 years ago he would do some mixing with me.He brought his orig. disc and believed I copied it and loaded it from there. Legal? Dont really know. For me I have no problem.It should not matter how many machines its loaded on as long as it was purchased legally.A copy was made as I could not load it, or rather did not want to at that point as I was in middle of mixing and I wanted to put it on 2 computers.

Back