Plugins for Mixing

jdizzel

Hey Guys,

I use protools 6.1 and the plugins that come with it are ok. I know if i had Protools HD, my mixes would sound a lot better. I usually use different plugins for my mixing so that i can get the best out of my mix.

I am always looking to better my mixes and with that being said, what company do you think provides the best plugins as far as EQ's, Reverbs, Etc. and why do think so?

jdizzel said:
I am always looking to better my mixes and with that being said, what company do you think provides the best plugins as far as EQ's, Reverbs, Etc. and why do think so?

I have a UAD-1, which is the best because Massive Master says so :D

Seriously, it does sound nice but I have nothing of the same level to compare it.

Voxengo makes some really nice stuff in a similar price range to the UAD-1 card. I also back up the UAD-1, especially the LA2a and the 1176. The Pultec and Fairchild are great too.

mshilarious said:
I have a UAD-1, which is the best because Massive Master says so :D

Seriously, it does sound nice but I have nothing of the same level to compare it.
Will it work with any software or just Protools?

Massive Master said:
I don't think it works with PT... Yet...?
What are you using it with? I have Sony Vegas 5.0, but I think it's DXi, not VST, so I was wondering...

Rokket said:
Will it work with any software or just Protools?

It works with both LE and TDM systems.

LE users must incorporate a delay compensation plug in, where as the TDM setup has the compensation allready built into the system.

I figure that digi has the technology to offer up the compensation support to LE users, but they dont want the competition seeing as how they just aquired the bomb factory stuff.

Funny thing though, it will cost you less to get a project pack than it will to get the classic compressors bundle.

Choice seems obvious to me. YMMV.

The UAD-1 does work with Pro-tools, you have to get a free VST-Rtas adapter from UA. BUT DONT DO IT! IF you are usig LE it does not have latency compensation like TDM. So if you use a plugin on a track it will be a few thousand samples behind, not good. The pack comes in with a plugin that can simulate latency that you would use on all other tracks to balance everything out, but it is a pain in the ass as you have to place it on every track. its too bad because they are great plugs.
Go with Waves Gold for sure! I have both, and while the UAD may sound a bit better, believe me it is impossible to mix with them in pro-tools LE

Doesn't Bomb Factory make some good dynamics plugs for pro tools? I remember seeing some cool hardware unit emulations they did that looked kinda like the UAD-1 plugs. I think the Fairchild Compressor was one of them.

jdizzel said:
Hey Guys,

I use protools 6.1 and the plugins that come with it are ok. I know if i had Protools HD, my mixes would sound a lot better. I usually use different plugins for my mixing so that i can get the best out of my mix.

Better mixes don't come from "plug-ins"......................

Blue Bear Sound said:

i understand that Blue Bear, but i also know that u can get a really good mix off of certain plugins, which is why i was asking....

Blue Bear Sound said:

I know what you mean because i know you Bruce.
But what bruce here means for anyone that dosent is> you need great source material.

And a few bitchin plugins help too!! :D :cool:

Back