Plugin to convert to mono?

composition4

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can download a simple plugin to convert a stereo feed to mono. I often need to check a mix in mono and Cubase has no easy way of doing this!

Thanks,
Jon

Just record your stereo master track back to a mono track in cubsase then solo the track and listen.

You could just pan the L and R tracks of your stereo feed to centre (I'm not in front of Cubase right now, but I'm sure this is possible). :)

composition4 said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can download a simple plugin to convert a stereo feed to mono. I often need to check a mix in mono and Cubase has no easy way of doing this!

Thanks,
Jon

Which version of cubase? I have SE and there is a click box on the master bus (mixer view) to switch between stereo and mono. Has this gone away in newer versions? That would suck.

Thanks for the replies, yes both options mentioned are possible, but a little tedious when flicking back and forth checking phase etc...

And I'm using SX 3... looks like for paying more that SE, they've taken away my right to a mono switch! :)

Edit: "that" = "than", sorry it's late here!

Last edited:
scrubs said:
Which version of cubase? I have SE and there is a click box on the master bus (mixer view) to switch between stereo and mono. Has this gone away in newer versions? That would suck.

Yeah that sucks i've never noticed that!

Agent47 said:
You could just pan the L and R tracks of your stereo feed to centre (I'm not in front of Cubase right now, but I'm sure this is possible). :)
That would only work if all the tracks were mono.

NYMorningstar said:
That would only work if all the tracks were mono.
Eh? I'm confused. Surely centre-panning the final stereo master faders will make the whole mix mono - effectively summing the whole thing together regardless if its individual tracks are mono or stereo?... Enlighten me, because as far as I understand this should work.

It DOES work... you just have to change the mode of the panner on the stereo bus (Cubase SX 3) so you can pan both left and right channels individually. But it's a major pain to do that, rather than just clicking a button.

I've built a simple gadget in Reaktor to just do this, basically it sums the L+R, then outputs the sum to both channels. I've stuck a bypass button on it to quickly go back and forth.

composition4 said:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Jon
Blockfish limiter by Digital Fishphones has a stereo/mono button. Handy for checking for phase problems. Great limiter and compressor functions in the plug also but it can be used just for its stereo/mono switch.

Tim

Thanks guys,

Yup I have the digitalfishphones plugs, but was after something that purely does stereo-->mono. I'm ultra-finicky and a perfectionist, which is probably my biggest downfall as an AE. Those links I posted (the second one in particular) look like they'll work well!

Back