plugin to analyze eq spectrums for all your tracks simulataneously?

floppsybunny

i'm wondering if anyone knows of a plug-in that can show me an eq spectrum analysis of my entire mix, but by showing me the eq responses for the individual tracks that contribute. i mean, so i can see all in one screen the overall eq balance, and i can see just the bass guitar (maybe it's color coded green) so i can see that the bass guitar there is actually adding a lot of noise around 1K that i could cut to make room for the vocal which is peaking there.

like a complete visual representation of your tracks' contributive eqs that you could use to aid in finding room in the eq spectrum while mixing. i would find that extremely helpful and wouldn't seem like a hard program to write.

does anyone know of any such or similar plugins? cheap or free plug-ins preferable...thanks a lot.

...a complete visual representation of your tracks' contributive eqs that you could use to aid in finding room in the eq spectrum while mixing...
Sorry, but you're going about EQ all wrong. It's not visual. It can only be done using your ears.

This, of course, is just my own opinion.
YMMV.

i'm wondering if anyone knows of a plug-in that can show me an eq spectrum analysis of my entire mix, but by showing me the eq responses for the individual tracks that contribute. i mean, so i can see all in one screen the overall eq balance, and i can see just the bass guitar (maybe it's color coded green) so i can see that the bass guitar there is actually adding a lot of noise around 1K that i could cut to make room for the vocal which is peaking there.

like a complete visual representation of your tracks' contributive eqs that you could use to aid in finding room in the eq spectrum while mixing. i would find that extremely helpful and wouldn't seem like a hard program to write.

does anyone know of any such or similar plugins? cheap or free plug-ins preferable...thanks a lot.

I've had this same exact thought not long ago. It would help those (like myself) with untrained ears to get a general idea where one instrument might be interfering with another. (But really the best way to learn is by trying and listening).

I don't see how it would work as a plugin though. A plugin on a track is only aware of that track. A plugin on a buss is usually only aware of the submix of the tracks sent to it. I could be wrong but I think it would require some changes in the DAW (host) program.

You'd have to put the analyzer plugin on the master mix track, and then also on each individual track. Your screen would get very cluttered, but you would be able to see everything you want to.

You'd have to put the analyzer plugin on the master mix track, and then also on each individual track. Your screen would get very cluttered, but you would be able to see everything you want to.

What he said:)

Best to read up and study frequecy charts, etc.
Get your ears used to what the different frequency ranges sound like.
Takes a while, but as XLR said. There is no way around it. If there where, computers would be mixing our music;)

F.S.

I think Voxengo's Gliss EQ may be a able to do that. I have it, but I have not explored it beyond its basic EQ functions.

I tried the analyzer route a few years ago because I didn't want to believe people when they said it's basically pointless and to use my ears. Dude, just skip it. Really you'll waste a shit load of time and the results will be shit and you'll end up doing what everyone is telling you.

Voxengo's SPAN is a nice analyzer. I mainly use it to check the center freqs of sibilance for de-essing, or to check for content that I can't hear either due to my ears or my speakers (synths or whatever blaring below 40Hz or above 16K).
Your idea for usage sounds very inefficient, and I'm afraid I can't imagine it helping you to make things sound "good." But you will need to load it onto every track and your main bus, as mentioned. You may need several LCD monitors to see it all.

One of the things I love about Samplitude is the spectrasonic display mode, which does pretty much what your asking. It's not to adjust EQ to, that's just a bad idea period, but it really helps to "see" the music as you look at the track display.

Sounds like a terrific idea for a plugin. I'd definitely use it. It would be helpful in confirming what I'm hearing and zero'ing in on trouble areas.

If you can't roughly tell where your problem lays then looking at an analizer won't do you much if any good. And if you don't know what tracks/instruments need to retain that frequency and which can live without it, you're again waisting your time IMHO. Just because there is a peak in an analizer, it does not mean it's a bad thing. In individual tracks your going to have some major peaks normaly.

Good books and practice will do more to help in this respect than any analizer, but if you want to mess with it. I would just strap a analizer to the main and then solo the track you want to check and walla. You can flick back and forth between a single track, a group of tracks and the whole mix.

F.S.

Back