Plugging my 4 ohm cab into my 8ohm output on amp?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Wanted to make sure that this won't destroy either speakers or amp before doing.

Advice?

It's 2 12" speakers from my Twin Reverb...plugging them into the 8ohm output on my SCXD to record.

-Elliot

No. You don't want to do that.

Rule of thumb: it's OK to run into a higher impedance than the rating on the output, but not lower.

Running into a lower impedance than the rated output impedance allows more current flow than the circuit is designed for. Not good.

If the speakers in the Twin have spade lug connectors on the speaker terminals you should be easily able to reconfigure them to 16 ohms. That would be OK for the 8 ohm outlet. Or just run into a single speaker for an 8 ohm load.

Rule of thumb: it's OK to run into a higher impedance than the rating on the output, but not lower.

Running into a lower impedance than the rated output impedance allows more current flow than the circuit is designed for. Not good.

Damn. I hate recording with a 10" speaker, just never sounds as big to me. I guess I'll just layer a bunch.

Thanks for the info though.

Well, yes and no. Many Fender amps have a convenient external speaker jack in parallel to the main output, and when you plug an extra speaker into it, you run the amp into a lower impedance - lower by half if it's the same impedance as the primary speaker. In fact, most Fender tube amps have a shorting speaker jack on the main output, since it's safer to run a tube amp into a dead short than have the output open when you unplug the primary speaker.

Well, yes and no. Many Fender amps have a convenient external speaker jack in parallel to the main output, and when you plug an extra speaker into it, you run the amp into a lower impedance - lower by half if it's the same impedance as the primary speaker. In fact, most Fender tube amps have a shorting speaker jack on the main output, since it's safer to run a tube amp into a dead short than have the output open when you unplug the primary speaker.
So what does this mean...
Can Iuse the 4ohm speakers with my speaker jack out on my Super Champ XD?

if the amp is only rated for 8 OHM dont plug it into a 4 OHM cab period the circuits are not rated to handle the lower impedance of the cab the the extra heat can and will destroy them.

Yes you can use those speakers as long as you wire them in series or just use one of them as Zaphod B suggested.

??

So if I don't change Any wiring and just unplug the speakers from my other amp and then plug them into my Super champ, I CAN'T do it. Right?

I'd have to rewire something to make it work?..if so, not worth it. 10" speaker here I come.

??

So if I don't change Any wiring and just unplug the speakers from my other amp and then plug them into my Super champ, I CAN'T do it. Right?
Correct.

I'd have to rewire something to make it work?..if so, not worth it. 10" speaker here I come.
If the speakers in your Twin have spade connectors on the terminals, you may be able to simply disconnect one speaker - at the speaker terminals - to obtain an 8-ohm load. (Protect the disconnected lugs with tape to keep them from contacting anyting.) If you have a volt-ohmmeter, you can measure the impedance to be sure.

Back