Plug-ins VS Line6 Toneport

ELECTRIC-MAYHEM

Hello folks,

Once again I'm going to ask a question that has probably been covered thoroughly through the years, and yet I can't seem to find the definitive post to cover it all...

So I'm just getting my feet wet in the realm of home recording, and I've been asking a lot of questions over in the Cubase section as that's the DAW I'm using.
My question today is not DAW specific, rather I'd like to know your thoughts on guitar amp simulator software versus dedicated hardware (such as the Line6 toneport) and it's related software.

I know that there are a ton of amp modeling programs out there, but as I try to navigate my way around the learning curve of digital recording I find myself yearning for something that feels familiar -like twiddling knobs on an actual piece of hardware.

A few years ago I had one of those little Fender G-dec amps, and found that some of the sounds on it were quite good. It was also extremely easy to navigate through the onboard effects, if I remember correctly a twist of the knob took you through all of the presets. Much faster and easier than clicking through drop-downs.

Would I be correct in assuming that the line6 units are similar in the way they operate? Or is just a preamp that is manipulated through on-screen menus like any other plug-in?

I guess my question really is: What are you guys using, what is the easiest to navigate, most natural sounding software/hardware to use?
I should mention that my style is mostly bluesy/folky but occasionally like to delve into some Jesus and Mary Chain style fuzz and overdrive.
I still have my old arsenal of stompboxes, do people actually use them for digital recording or is everything digitized these days?

Sorry for my caveman questions.

If you are using the old podfarm and gearbox software that the toneport came with its been well superseded with modern software

Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Overloud, Softube, all are much improved...but in terms of overdrive/distortion youre still not going to beat a pedal

If you got a decent collection then maybe some modelling hardware would be the route to take...the new Zoom pedals do everything great, except overdrive/distortion...I think modellings got a bit to go to beat a pedal in that department. The modelling amps are pretty decent, but when you line record them straight into your daw whats the point of paying for the speaker? Some like the valtronix series from Vox at valve/tubes, but they are bypassed for recording anyway.

Thanks, I think I'll pass on the toneport. There was one for sale locally for pretty cheap on Craigslist but I think the money could be spent better somewhere else.

Downloading the guitar rig as I write this.

Line6 POD Farm 2 Platinum is amazing and contains most of the big hitting amps of the past and preset. I would be lost without it.

Back