Plug ins or outboard processors???

FullSailer

Hello everyone, here is my question. I am in the process of setting up a digital audio workstation on my mac. What im wondering is if I can still use outboard effects processors while recording and mixing on my computer. Like for instance if I just liked the way a certain Preamp or reverb outboard box sounded but still wanted to use compressor and gate plugins...is that possible? I would appreciate if someone could help me out with this. Thanx alot.

Eric

I cant see where thats a problem...you have tried it...right ??
Perhaps record with your external effects first and then add your internal effects afterwards.

You can do that...i.e. use external effects and preamps....actually you are going to need to use a preamp anyhow.......Just plug 'em on in.....Just remember that as a general rule the more shit you plug into (or put in the signal chain) before going into the computer, the more potential there is for problems...particularly unwanted hiss....ofcourse you can edit some of it out...and use software hiss remover applications but they usually leave artifacts in the sound.....Just a thought I'm throwing your way...You may find that there will be no problems with loading up your signal chain...who knows.

Good question.

My answer to it is "sort of."

Since I switched to digital recording, I've begun thinking of my outboard gear in 2 categories- things I use DURING recording and things I use AFTER recording.

Outboard gear that I use during recording I still use all the time: preamps (obviously), compressors, the (very) occasional EQ. You use it the same way you always do- plug in, set carefully, and go.

Gear that I used to use AFTER recording sits on my shelf and gathers dust, unfortunately: reverbs, the EQ's most of the time, outboard effects. You just lose too much sound quality transfering the digital signal back to analog for the effects, then back to digital again. And that assumes that you have an I/O device with multiple outs that will even let you do that. I don't and I don't miss it.

Every time the audio signal goes through a digital/analog conversion you lose quality and add distortion. Once the signal is digital it is best to keep it there- unless you are fortunate enough to be working with the highest quality converters, I'm told. ;) Since I certainly don't have the best converters, I use my plugins exclusively after I've recorded a signal into my DAW.

For that reason, its worth learning how to tweak your plugins the same way you learned to tweak your hardware units. Sure, its not the same useing a mouse instead of moving knobs, but its WELL worth the fiddling time because most plugs can give you very useable sounds when you learn how to use them.

Have fun!
Chris

Good to hear some good things about plug-ins, Chris....I deffinately agree on the "too many conversions" point... what plug-ins do you use anyway?? And how proffessional is your recording....

cheers..:)

thanx guys

I appreciate everyones input on this matter. Just wondering, do they have any kind of hands on plug in controlers? I know they have controlers for recording software, but do they also control the plug ins? If you cant tell, I like turning nobs and pushing buttons better than clicking a mouse. Thanx alot.
Eric

Back