Plug-in / Real Thing ?

Senryoku

People,

this question may sound dumb, but I´m no pro audio expert
or something near that. So, my question is, I have a finished wavefile created on my harddisk. What´s the difference between processing ("mastering") this file thru a software like WaveLab, using all those rack plug-ins and what it would be if the processing thing was real (a real compressor, a real equalizer,
etc...) ?

The choice for any of these two methods making a big difference
to the finished audio?

(Considering the real "equipment" choice, all the compressors and
rack units need to be all digital in and out? Otherwise, I guess, the wav audio should be send analog out to the rack units and coming back for another A/D conversion, right? Isn´t it making a loss of quality?

Thanks dudes.

S.

Not being a pro mastering guy, I'll take a stab at answering some of these questions. First, with plug ins, it depends on which plug-ins you have. Just like analog gear, not all are created equal. However, high quality plug ins are capable of doing mastering, based on all I have read.

On the analog side, I have seen a whole analog mastering room full of vintage and high end analog gear. I'd have no problem if somebody wanted to master my music through that stuff, even with an extra a/d conversion. Its done all the time.

A combination of both is a third approach. If you have to do any wave editing, you need the computer to get in there.

Remember, the people who do this for a living are highly skilled. Its usually all they do, just to put it in perspective. Us homewreckers can certainly improve upon our mixes with the right gear or plug ins, some careful listening/comparison and having a real good mix to begin with. That doesn't put us in the same league as the pro mastering guys.

As for the difference between plug ins and analog, I don't think one is better than the other. Both are capable of great results. Its the ears and expertise that the user brings that makes or breaks the finished product. As for specific products, I'll let some with more knowledge add specifics. I just know you're gonna ask what you should get!

Then, there's the whole subject of monitors. I ain't going there either!

One thing I've noticed on some of the pro forums is that mastering engineers seem to prefer analog compression and EQ and digital limiting (hardware or plug in) because of it's look ahead abilities.

Thanks

thanks people, It´s really a question of time/experience/taste,
but helps like this really makes a difference.

thanks.

Back