plosive

kevinfellows85

What is a plosive?
whats plosive sounds?
I know its got something to do with mics... well.. i think so anyway!
sorry if its a very amature question :)

A plosive is a burst of air from your mouth that overloads the diaphrame of a mic. Some plosive words are words with P sounds (imagine being close to a hot mic and saying "Proud" loudly right into the mic).

kevinfellows85 said:
What is a plosive?
whats plosive sounds?
I know its got something to do with mics... well.. i think so anyway!
sorry if its a very amature question :)

It's when pronouncing the 'p' sends a burst of air into a mic and resembles a minor explosive type sound. People often use a pop-shield in front of a sensitive mic to avoid this. Also, working on less aggressive pronounciation of the 'p' and better mic positioning can work wonders. Some radio announcers are very good at softening their 'p's, but some almost don't pronounce them at all in order to avoid the "plosive". Listen. Some are great (Charles McCord), some sound pretty unnatural, others (like Imus) don't care.

A plosive is a sound made when the oral passage (throat to lips) gets closed and then opens with a burst of air in order to pronounce a certain letter or part of a word.

Either by the lips closing ('p' sounds) or by the tongue touching the roof of the mouth behind the teeth ('s', 't', sounds) or by the top teeth touching the bottom lip ('f' sounds) or buy the throat closing altogether ('g' sounds).

The 'p' sounds are usually most problematic for recording but others can be an issue too.

Oh yeh!!! ...cool.. I know about the whole p's and d thing, and using a pop shield...I was just stumpt by the word.
Hurray, Ive got a new fancy word to add to my vocab... thanks!!! :D

kevinfellows85 said:
Oh yeh!!! ...cool.. I know about the whole p's and d thing, and using a pop shield...I was just stumpt by the word.
Hurray, Ive got a new fancy word to add to my vocab... thanks!!! :D
And here's a fancy place to find the meaning of those words - it's called a dictionary. :)
http://www.onelook.com/

Back