Plexiglass Panel Drum Sound Barriers

bbundy96

Plexiglass Panel Drum Sound Barriers... has anyone ever used them and/or heard anything about them? I am wondering how well they isolate the drums from what is in front of the barrier.

I am just finishing up the construction of my studio. I only had one room to turn into a studio, so I have to use it as both a control room and the live room. Now that I am putting all my gear in its place, I am looking at what extra room I have so I can place "floating walls" or something else to isolate speaker cabs and my drums.

I am looking for any suggestions that you guys have. If you think that I would be better off building the "floating walls", just say that and I will use the search so no one has to be repeating themselves again. The bass will be recorded via direct box. The guitar amp is a Line AX212 and the drums are Pearl Masters Recording Custom, both will be miked.

Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• studio_floorplan.jpg
    studio_floorplan.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 158
I've used them, but only in live situations. In general, the plexiglass will not isolate, it only redirects the sound a bit. And if the wall behind the drums is live- it just kicks it back out again. They also make it sound like muck for the drummer.

I think you'll need to close it in/off to get any sort of isolation, or at least have some sort of absorbtive panels around the kit to knock down the sound. Like the auralex max walls or a similar homemade version.

Back