Please Take Apart My Latest Mix...

Ok, now you're catching on..

Listening on some Sennheiser cans:
I'm not a big fan of the guitar tones here but that's a taste issue. The drums are kinda pale and thin. Sounds like the (eww)...SR16..yes, yes it is. I'm sorry but I hate the sound of that thing. At least program your own part if you're going to use it. I'm not getting anything really grabbing me. No real life in the song. The bass is too low and dull with no real definition and the guitars are way too direct sounding.

My tips: Get some mics and cabinets and use them. Tap out the drum parts or at least program them yourself, I can like see the Alesis preset screen here.

And last but not least, write some lyrics and sing.

Oh hey, and welcome to homerecording.com! Don't let the jerks scare ya off...:p

i like the work with the bass,
but
drums should go up a notch, u should fondle around more with panning and faders, and such. guitars.... bein a guitar player, i can say lol i hate that sound. it sounds like an acoustic guitar, with alot alot of unnececesary fuzz. cut that down a notch, but the solo sound is good, nice work on that...

the song itself, kinda futuristic, shove a rocket up ur ass and fly to space, its kinda cool, but jake is rite, lyrics would go well. like instead of the guitar licks u stick in every now and then, put some words. ohhh take my hand ill show u stars , ill take you to the mooon and then to maaars u know? (if ur planning on using that, i want credit)

Great! Thanks for the input. I like the honesty of this place.

Outlaw!

That guitar sound was a preset on my ToneWorks multi effects pedal. But it does need some "body".

I have done some vocal work and I suck at lyrics. But who knows, when my instrumental phase dies down, I'll be back at it. Maybe I'll do a remake of an old tune.

Jake!

You are right about the drums, it is an SR-16. I do need to work with it as it is all that I have (except for the drums on my synth). I have only humble equipment. Man, I need to get to buiding that DAW!

Thanks again guys, it is good to be part of a place where people know their stuff!

(me in my studio/den)

Attachments

• richlespaulsm.jpg
    richlespaulsm.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
No problem man. as long as you're open to criticism you'll do fine here. Believe me a DAW is not going to solve many of your problems. IMO what you need is some real recording going on, you know get some sounds pumping the room and capture that with some good micing techniques. The drums on your synth mught sound better, in fact you could hook your SR16 MIDI out to your keyboard and use the SR16 for programmed patterns and the synth as a tone module.
You don't need a bunch of fancy mics and gear just some good technique and a good ear.

Just some ideas, good attitude BTW.

Interesting advise. The idea to experiment with the SR16 and its MIDI capabilities has given me some ideas. I have also done WAY too much direct stuff.

Musically, my ears has been great to me (but thay are damaged with constant tinnitus), I've never had a problem picking up a tune (been a bass player for almost 30 years). Where I lack most in home recording is in technique.

If you get a chance, sample the tune "Back To Basics". Much cleaner guitar on that and I feel the SR16 sounds better there...not sure though as I am limited and biased.

Oh yeah, attitude means a lot! See ya around the boards! :)

some pretty nice stuff you did. your gettin some good separation and tones in all your instruments. Clean recording, Playing is good. The sr16 part has already been addressed, it`s kits aren`t all that bad except for the cymbals and high hats.

Toki987 said:
some pretty nice stuff you did. your gettin some good separation and tones in all your instruments. Clean recording, Playing is good. The sr16 part has already been addressed, it`s kits aren`t all that bad except for the cymbals and high hats.
I gotta disagree, I find that every single sound on that machine sounds exactly like the SR16...not a good thing. I hate the snares and block sounds the most. The toms are ridiculously bad and the cymbals are not even worth mentioning.
I like the machine for a practice drummer but for recording it's very...ahh..uhm..SR16ish.

I guess some people like it I hear it in commercials and stuff all the time...I just dislike any peice of MIDI gear that is instantly recognizeable.

Richie, I will get to your other song I'm having some serious computer problems right now...thank God this is not my DAW!

Great mix. Cool punchy song. The bass was a bit subsonic and boomy here and there. Tune sounded very alive and I didn't have to strain to hear anything.

The fuzzy tone that double the clean guitar ryhms could be better. It's kind of a neat sound for a bit.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I'm making some changes in my studio setup so that I can get away from just being limited to the Korg D8 and the Sr-16. I'll be doing the learning thing for awhile.

Good luck with the Comp. problem, Jake. I read your "help me" threads and I have no clue for you. Wish I could help.

Cheers!

Back