please take a moment to listen

Lo-Fi Mike

This is a song me and a buddy wrote recorded and mixed, So i am willing to be critiqued on the whole song from production to mixing.

The Clearance.mp3

thank you for your time and advice.
-mike-

interface-MOTU 8pre

Really cool song Mike.

I really like the recording. Theres something very pleasing about all the music happening. The low mids and upper bass I think are getting very cluttered and muddy. Maybe run a high pass filter on the guitar's, it sounds like theyre producing alot of the mud. Or maybe it's the bass, it's hard to tell ... it's just muddy.

The vocals sound great. Doubled up? Tripled up?

I might turn up the kick or at least try to make room for it. Either carve out more room in the deep bass or more click. The snare sounds pretty cool, could even maybe be a little louder in the mix.

Awesome mix man. Your band? Great music. Keep up the good work.

that guitar riff is hypnotizing. i really like it and i liked the fact right when i thought it was over it kept going :) i agree about turning up the kick. i didn't think it sounded muddy though.

thanks guys

Doubled up? Tripled up?...........................................................................................................Your band?

thanks for your advice Erockrazor ...my budget monitors might have somthing to do with the muddy low range.:D

-----vocals-----
1st take ma200 sent more to the left

2nd take ma200 sent more to the right

3rd sm7 down the middle

all running thru a robbie into the 8pre (i know i really could use an outboard compressor)

sorta a band... my friend from CO. came down for a week and we recorded 4songs. when he comes down for good we will try and start a band.

greyharmonix..Thanks for your input as well.
looks like i might need to invest in some better monitors to get the kick and low range stuff right.
i put about $250 in some headphones in order to avoid the 1,200 on some Yamaha's with a sub.....well i guess i better start saving up.

Hey Mike, this sounds nice. I like the song a lot. I'm not a fan of the tripled vocals. I think you should keep the left and right tracks, but make them lower in the mix to support the middle vocal track rather than compete with it.

I don't hear any muddiness, but I'm on headphones.

Cool man!!

thanks

thanks Chili

yeah...there are parts were the left one might jump out and bite for a second and over take the middle one.

well thanks for the input, I will definitely keep it in mind.

-mike-

I feel it's appropriate to come back and say ...

I just listened on headphones and don't hear the muddiness. It was caused by a bass note. My rooms frequency response must have a peak where that note is :o.

Sorry for misleading Mike! It's an awesome song, mud or not! Thankfully for you ... this time, it's not mud!

Back