Please share your drum compression techniques!

Nikki7

I'd be really interested to hear different people's approaches to applying compression to drums as you go to tape (or not tape!). I'm especially curious about different comp techniques for room mics.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'd be really interested to hear different people's approaches to applying compression to drums as you go to tape (or not tape!). I'm especially curious about different comp techniques for room mics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Nikki7,

I generally Limit my Kick and Snare tracks going to tape-to get the maximum signal on tape (Tascam DA-38's).

I do compress the kit with a dbx 166A.
You have to watch out though, 4-10 db's compression Threshold between -10 and 0. It just depends upon what I'm after...

Tim

I don't compress drums at all until the mix and even them it's usually the overall compressor is used there hey Nickki - love the DBX166 good compressor

[This message has been edited by John Sayers (edited 07-24-2000).]

I use Ashley SC-50s and CL-50s on drums these are fully ajustable compressors. If you want great drum sound you cant use a compressor with fixed attack and release settings.

I use a Behringer Multicom compressor. It's a four-channel compressor in one rack space. I'm happy with 2:1 on everything. The Multicom allows linking channels 1 & 2, 3 & 4, and comes in handy with stereo overheads.

Compression is great for crappy cymbals. Gives 'em long sustain. Then again, if they're really crappy, you may want to use less compression to get them in and out as soon as possible.

My unprofessional, generic setting is:

kick and snare: -3 reduction with the ratio at 9'oclock and output at plus 3 to compensate for the reduction. Attack and release settings usually depend on the speed of the song.

Bass guitar; depends on the song, if I'm using the E string on the first few frets I use -3 reduction. Less reduction if not.

I have one of those $89 compressors which shall remain nameless, this is why I usually only compress on the way in. I rarely put my compressor on the mix, or vocals. For vocals I try to manipulate the mic during singing to keep the level fairly consistent or ride the fader during mixdown. With a more transparent compressor, I'm sure you'll have more options.

Oops, just notice the question was about drums only, sorry for going on a rant................no extra charge BTW

[This message has been edited by Ray J (edited 07-24-2000).]

Back