Please recommend a tascam portastudio for me ?

jpb123

Hi,

I have a need for a mobile / portastudio and have used Tascam way back when it was cassette tape.

Reading reviews on various shops ( Zsounds , musicians friend etc ) the tascams are very well thought of so I thought I would give one a try.

I am looking to record keyboards and vocals ( Not many tracks needed ) and would like to compress the vocals on the way in and print these to the track + monitor with effects on but not commit these to the track.

I would then like to mix / master the track inside the machine and burn a cd there and then but also have the option of exporting the seperate tracks in case I need to edit them at home !!

I know it's quite a long list of requests but was wondering if any of the tascams would be suitable ?

I love the idea of having a stable system that can be used alone with the preamps and effects / inserts being perfectly matched without the hassle of the alternative laptop / usb interface setup and problems that can bring..............plus I just want to twiddle some faders etc just like in the old days !!!!

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated

John

Im using the Tascam US-144mk11 and love it. I also used and still do the Tascam MF-P01 cassette. Take a look at the US-144mk11 I think you wll like it.

DP24.....does exactly what you ask....

I use it with my Korg Triton Extreme....I sequence drums inside the keyboard...do a keyboard track, bass, strings, synth etc....

midi works like a champ....I can sync up keyboard to DP24 and lay scratch vocals & acoustic Guitar....

Then I can tweak my sequence in real-time to Scratch VOX....

Plenty of tracks to put 4 part harmony and double parts...

So much control & power it's just not fair...

Check out the DP-02, 8track, 40gigHD, built in CD Burner, excellent machine with tons of great sound effects and a very nice appearance. There is a very good training DVD Tutorial by David Wills that you can purchase on Ebay for less than $50 that covers everything. BTW, check out the MXL 990 Condenser Mic sold by Music 123 $60, retail is over $200, check out the reviews, you'll be impressed. Best wishes,DL

Check out the DP-02, 8track, 40gigHD, built in CD Burner, excellent machine with tons of great sound effects and a very nice appearance. There is a very good training DVD Tutorial by David Wills that you can purchase on Ebay for less than $50 that covers everything. BTW, check out the MXL 990 Condenser Mic sold by Music 123 $60, retail is over $200, check out the reviews, you'll be impressed. Best wishes,DL

Yeah the DP-02s are some fine little 8TK machines I can vouch for that !!!

I think if I were getting one I'd go for a used Neo ..... my understanding is that they have a much better feature set than the newer DP24s

since you the Tascam guy, do you agree that a Neo would be a better unit than a DP24?

Yes and only cause I have owned the NEO for almost a yr. now and all's Ive been hearing about the DP-24 is the problems people are having with them. Personally I don't think it looks as heavy duty as the NEO and it doesn't have a hard drive which I prefer over the memory card.

Yes and only cause I have owned the NEO for almost a yr. now and all's Ive been hearing about the DP-24 is the problems people are having with them. Personally I don't think it looks as heavy duty as the NEO and it doesn't have a hard drive which I prefer over the memory card.
that's pretty much the impression I get from reading about the DP24. Almost universal expressions of disappointment over some of the features that were lost.

that's pretty much the impression I get from reading about the DP24. Almost universal expressions of disappointment over some of the features that were lost.

Yep really sad for Tascam. By the way just cause Im named "Tascam Man" here doesn't mean I like all the gear they ever made ;) although I do have tons of some of the better gear they made back in the day more like early to mid 90s stuff.....:) some older stuff maybe also ;)

Hi,

I have a need for a mobile / portastudio and have used Tascam way back when it was cassette tape.

Reading reviews on various shops ( Zsounds , musicians friend etc ) the tascams are very well thought of so I thought I would give one a try.

I am looking to record keyboards and vocals ( Not many tracks needed ) and would like to compress the vocals on the way in and print these to the track + monitor with effects on but not commit these to the track.

I would then like to mix / master the track inside the machine and burn a cd there and then but also have the option of exporting the seperate tracks in case I need to edit them at home !!

I know it's quite a long list of requests but was wondering if any of the tascams would be suitable ?

I love the idea of having a stable system that can be used alone with the preamps and effects / inserts being perfectly matched without the hassle of the alternative laptop / usb interface setup and problems that can bring..............plus I just want to twiddle some faders etc just like in the old days !!!!

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated

John

Well?? Did you ever get what you were looking for???

Back