Please point/shove me in the right direction with this song!

paxsonwoelber

Hi all. I have a track I'm trying to get put together for an animation. It's a loud, boisterous, fun rock song. When I heard it for the first time it had temporary electronic drums over it which I didn't like, so I hired a professional drummer to record a track over it. This guy is pretty f'in good, he's one of Trey Anastasio's former solo project drummers. Awesome drummer, and really cool guy, too. Anyway, I just got the rough mix back today and it sounds... notsogood. Kind of basement-y. Somehow the crazy fun mood of the song is gone. The snare sounds really loud and clangy to me, and the cymbals sound really quiet. I'm kind of shocked to be honest. The studio tech said that this is a rough cut and I'll get the "full-quality" version after I pay (just dropped his check in the mail). Should I be worried about this? Does this even sound like something that could be crafted into something decent? It doesn't have bass yet, but other than that, I was hoping for something a little better... here is an excerpt:

View attachment martyrs.mp3

:(

So are you paying someone to give you a finished mixed product, or just to provide you unmixed drum tracks that you will mix in with the parts you already have?

I paid to have the drums recorded and then mixed. I was billed an hour for the mixing. He said that this is the "rough mix" and that I'd get a "full-quality version later." So maybe I'm jumping the gun? Still... it just doesn't sound like great material to start with... or maybe it just takes some getting used to?

That actually sounds good for a raw rough cut of a drum take man. I am sure, however, that they will individually work with each track during the mixing stage to bring out the best sound possible. If you don't like what they do, it would be nice to get the tracks once you do and try to mix them down myself. I enjoy mixing drums.

yeah i'd say thats just the drums being pretty much completely unmastered, but in there to give the idea of the track - doubt any studio would put out a track that sounded like the drums were recorded in a bike shed :D

few level adjustments, eq'ing etc and they'll polish up really nicely.

Back