Please place an ebay warning in your title

undrgrnd studio

If you are NOT selling your item here at Home Recording please do everybody a favor and write Ebay in the title. I know I'm not the only one who NEVER follows those links and is slightly annoyed that I wasted my time looking at a thread advertising an item that isn't for sale here.

Moderators, why not make a requirement that items for sale actually have to be for sale HERE on the forum?

Yeah, that bugs me too. For a while we were doing pretty good by consistently using the appropriate abbreviations in the titles, but folks have slipped at that I guess. (It's FS, FT, FA for For Sale, For Trade, and For Auction, respectively.)

If you are NOT selling your item here at Home Recording please do everybody a favor and write Ebay in the title. I know I'm not the only one who NEVER follows those links and is slightly annoyed that I wasted my time looking at a thread advertising an item that isn't for sale here.

Moderators, why not make a requirement that items for sale actually have to be for sale HERE on the forum?

+1

i dont think those kind threads should be allowed at all, you either sell it here or Ebay, every other forum i visit regulary works like that, it prevents a lot of scams and Spam.

We specifically allow people to post links to outside sites like eBay to avail the HR member with his sale. I think it's a good suggestion to place eBay in the title, but not a requirement.

What is not allowed are non-audio related items like iPhones. Those will get deleted.

Peace,

iPhones can be used for recording, or as an instrument! Seriously, that policy should change because such devices are the future of home/location recording.

iPhones can be used for recording, or as an instrument! Seriously, that policy should change because such devices are the future of home/location recording.

Well, if they become mainstream audio devices then maybe we'll change the policy that YOU wrote. :rolleyes:

I am wondering why the forums dont do what they do at Ibanez Collectors World forum..... they have "ebay" tags. You put your ebay item number in between the tags. Then if someone clicks thru from that link, and they buy the item, then the forum gets a small kickback from the sale.

The first time I posted a link there to my ebay auction, I received an email from the mods asking me to go back and modify my post to use the ebay tags. Simple rule really, either sell the item there on the forum, or use the ebay tags. Seems to work super smooth for them.....why not here?

I dont think it's necessary to ban all links to ebay auctions when the auctions are for the same gear we all talk about here on the forum (guitar speakers, pedals, amps, monitors, mics, mics, mics, etc....) A lot of times posting my auction link in the forum classifieds is the only way to generate interest in items that are usually viewed as specialized niche items from the point of view of the rest of the world. I will even stick my neck out and say that the deals that I have seen on ebay have always ended up being better deals than the "optimistic" prices that people tend to post when selling here in the forum directly, and better than the "in your dreams" offers that buyers tend to make in their pm's. More than once I've replied back with "I think it will sell for more than that in my auction!" and I've been right every time. Besides, I would be hundreds of dollars poorer if I did not have the bare basic "protections" I get by using ebay and paypal. I've had to rely on the dispute process more than once to preserve my paypal balance and to coax sellers into standing behind the items they auction off. Nothing against forum sellers, but it only takes one ripoff to ruin it for everybody and possibly cause undue strain on the forum itself, especially since the forum sale offers no recourse.

I suppose I dont see any reason not to include "ebay" or "F/A" in the title, though I'm not sure what the real difference ends up being between a sale and an auction. I would think it's pretty obvious when there is a link posted that it will lead to an ebay auction 99 times out of 100. All you have to do is mouse over the link without clicking on it to see where it goes. Furthermore, most of the time the seller will accept pm's with offers to buy direct, most will refer you to their ebay feedback for references, and it is a very small inconvenience to end an auction early to help out a fellow forumite!

I like it the way it is, allow ebay links if the items are directly related to forum content, remove everything else.

check out about halfway through (4:38, about) for an iPhone solo:

[video=youtube;<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4FYI_hdoGlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4FYI_hdoGlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>]video[/video]

(btw, this is my family's summer house in western NC - hadn't been there in a few years and did a web search for the name of it, and came up with this! I gotta go back :) )

Last edited:
Well, if they become mainstream audio devices then maybe we'll change the policy that YOU wrote. :rolleyes:

I didn't define "audio product". Blue is going to release a recording app for iPhone this year. It won't be the first, but the first by a pro audio vendor to my knowledge. The other phone are more wide open for developers so I'd expect lots of open-source stuff for them by the end of the year.

I didn't define "audio product". Blue is going to release a recording app for iPhone this year. It won't be the first, but the first by a pro audio vendor to my knowledge. The other phone are more wide open for developers so I'd expect lots of open-source stuff for them by the end of the year.

So, you think it would be okay for someone to list their car here because it can play CD's?? :confused:

+10000000

Common courtesy is to post ads accurately.

When I (and a host of other members) sell something on these boards, it is normally posted at a 'better-than-Ebay' price as a special offer especially for HR folks.

If no one buys it, it will then go to Ebay for the 'normal' Ebay/street price.

When I'm browsing these classifieds, I like the fact that forum members are looking out for other members by offering special pricing as well.

I never open titles that say 'FA/For Auction' because I go to Ebay for those 'deals'. :rolleyes:

When a 'For Sale' ad turns out to be just a link to an Ebay auction, it is a disappointment and I never click on it.

There's one 'member' here with whom 95% of his posts consist of links to his Ebay auctions (all saying 'For Sale') and the other 5% are him defending his right to do so.

I'd rather buy gear from the actual contributors to these boards.

Just my .02...

:)

So, you think it would be okay for someone to list their car here because it can play CD's?? :confused:

No, but it's perfectly acceptable for somebody to list a desktop PC with a soundcard in it and call it a DAW. There isn't much of a difference.

Good point undrgrnd studio. What kind of pukes me out a little is some people put their gear directly on Junkbay instead of trying to sell it to good people on the forum. I guess it's no big deal tho.

When.....members..... sell something on these boards, it is normally posted at a 'better-than-Ebay' price as a special offer especially for HR folks.

When I'm browsing these classifieds, I like the fact that forum members are looking out for other members by offering special pricing as well.

I wish I saw this. Every time I've looked at items on the forums and similar items on ebay, I have always gotten it for less on ebay. I've even seen people posting items on forums for sale as excellent used or mint used and the price they post is higher than I can get it new from an authorized dealer. I message and ask them about it and they just say something like "Well, that's what I paid for it" or "Dont try to buy it then!"

Why all the auction hatred? So what if it's for auction on ebay, why does that make my item untouchable? What's wrong with sending a pm with an offer "Will you take $xx dollars for it?" I've ended auctions early before after receiving reasonable offers thru pm's. On the other hand, I've listed stuff on ebay without posting links to it in the forums, and a lot of it doesn't sell. I relist and post links in the forums and overnight I get dozens of watchers and those items sell every time.

So if you post your item for sale here and nobody buys it for the price you want, then since you refuse to click on auction links for others does that mean you also refuse to post your items on ebay when all other avenues fail to get it sold? If the answer is no, then we are verging on some serious double standards here.

I'm not cutting anybody here or anywhere else.......but why ignore a quality item for sale and basically "punish" the seller just because he utilizes every available means (ebay) to try and get it sold at the best price? Isn't that what this American economy is supposed to be about? I dont get it......

check out about halfway through (4:38, about) for an iPhone solo:

[video=youtube;<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4FYI_hdoGlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4FYI_hdoGlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>]video[/video]

(btw, this is my family's summer house in western NC - hadn't been there in a few years and did a web search for the name of it, and came up with this! I gotta go back :) )

Grayson Capps stayed at your summer house? Sweet! There's another iPhone solo at about the 7 minute mark. :)

ON TOPIC:

I don't come here often.. but when I do, I tend to check this free ads forum first. I honestly don't mind if there is an auction listed. I do like the idea of FS/FT/FA/WTB in the thread title, though.

Why not make it a requirement to place an FA in the title?

We specifically allow people to post links to outside sites like eBay to avail the HR member with his sale. I think it's a good suggestion to place eBay in the title, but not a requirement.

What is not allowed are non-audio related items like iPhones. Those will get deleted.

Peace,

Why not make it a requirement to place an FA in the title? It's a big pain to view a thread only to find it's another auction. I use ebay sometimes, but I come here to this particular section of this forum for THIS forum. If I wanted to buy something from ebay I would. Everybody already knows pretty much anything you can possibly want is on ebay. It's not at all helpful to this forum to have post after post with links to ebay auctions. I know the sellers think they are drumming up traffic for their auctions, but the reality is that most everybody here wants to buy directly from members, not from their ebay auctions. It just bloats the forum with unnecessary posts. Anyway, that's just how I feel.

I wish I saw this. Every time I've looked at items on the forums and similar items on ebay, I have always gotten it for less on ebay. I've even seen people posting items on forums for sale as excellent used or mint used and the price they post is higher than I can get it new from an authorized dealer. I message and ask them about it and they just say something like "Well, that's what I paid for it" or "Dont try to buy it then!"

Why all the auction hatred? So what if it's for auction on ebay, why does that make my item untouchable? What's wrong with sending a pm with an offer "Will you take $xx dollars for it?" I've ended auctions early before after receiving reasonable offers thru pm's. On the other hand, I've listed stuff on ebay without posting links to it in the forums, and a lot of it doesn't sell. I relist and post links in the forums and overnight I get dozens of watchers and those items sell every time.

So if you post your item for sale here and nobody buys it for the price you want, then since you refuse to click on auction links for others does that mean you also refuse to post your items on ebay when all other avenues fail to get it sold? If the answer is no, then we are verging on some serious double standards here.

I'm not cutting anybody here or anywhere else.......but why ignore a quality item for sale and basically "punish" the seller just because he utilizes every available means (ebay) to try and get it sold at the best price? Isn't that what this American economy is supposed to be about? I dont get it......

I don't care to go bid on an item from ebay. I buy from people here because I like the quick transactions and easy communication. And usually it costs LESS than buying through ebay. If ebay was such a great deal, then why do sellers suffer through ebay fees and paypal fees and list all their items on ebay, all for LESS money. They AREN'T getting less money for their items, they get MORE money. Ebay gets the most amount of people to view your item and fight for it with a bidding war. And that's all fine and dandy, but I don't want to deal with it. I don't want to look at a bunch of ebay ads. This is a homerecording forum, not a revenue generating ad forum for ebay auctions. It's annoying. Either sell the item here or sell it on ebay, and if you feel that you need to generate traffic for your ebay auction that's fine but at least put a freakin FA in the title so the majority of us can avoid it.

It seems to me that the buyers find all these ebay links annoying, and the sellers are angry for us pointing it out.

Of course, my perspective on doing auctions at all can change drastically and quickly when I get the calculator out and notice that between ebay cuts and paypal cuts, 14.5% of my sale amount is already gone before I even get the email telling me that my auction has ended.

I thought only waitresses at Hooters get tipped that much? OUCH! :eek: :mad:

Now those forum-only sales threads look like a much better idea. :o

Back