please Listen!!!!! (and comment, if you have a second) Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Capt. Snazzy

Three songs, please lend me your ears and mixing expertise.

I have three songs here I've been working on for awhile with my singer...
If you have a minute, please pick one (or three) and comment on anything, from production notes to making fun of my simplistic guitar playing. I'm not sensitive and I'd really like these to be all they can be, so, fire away!

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Aaron

Edit: I added a "yay" effect to the title of post to bring it up in the mix.

Last edited:
Let me start by qualifying I don't know crap. I listened to all 3 songs. I like the songs and the arrangements. I like the different textures of guitar tones etc. through out the songs. What I dig most is the general vibe of the songs, really cool stuff.

I can't tell you how to improve them because I don't know. I will say they'd be better if they were polished up, perfectly timed and the vocals perfectly on pitch.

Thanks duditz for taking the time to comment. I'm going to try and tweak on the timing, and the vocals do need some work as well.
Thanks again, I appreciate it, I know they're not finished, it's just tough for me to be objective regarding the next step now that I've heard them all 9000 times.

Aaron

This radio-friendly style nu-rock stuff really isn't my thing, but it sounds like you have a handle on it very well. Everything sounds very clear and mixed well. Nice guitar tones and effects. I think the guitars come in too loud on 'already gone' during the louder parts. Maybe bring them down a touch and bring the drums up some. Everything else sounds pretty top-notch. Great job overall.

I think "Already Gone" has big potential. (The vocals are buried in the verses though.)

To me the issue with this tune is in the arrangement.
Personally, I would come in with the verse at :19 or :20 instead of at :30 and also I would seriously yank out the "interlude" after the 1st verse and chrous, which is to say move the beat returning at 1:16-1:17 back to 1:11 because the stage has already been set with that kind of theme in the intro, but a 2nd time really kills the momentum and sense of "Urgency" that should have me hooked to the beat and primed for the chrous again.

Musically this totally reminds me of something from the start of a John Carpenter flick.

Others might disagree, but I think if you used the same type passage as from 2:05 to just before 2:23 as the intro, then this could be a hit song.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks Bill

...For your observations. I appreciate it, like I said, I've become numb to the possibly blaring problems in the mixes. I will try what you've suggested, it definitely seems viable. So, you wouldn't bring the overall intensity down at all between the 1st Chorus and the 2nd Verse? Or just much less downtime..?
I'll try some different stuff, and bring the vocals up, and post what I come up with. Thanks so much for the specific suggestions, that's really the sort of thing that I'm looking for, things that I just can't see that really stand out to other people.

Aaron

Already Gone is cool no matter what, but if 2:05 to 2:22 was your intro (Cus it's BIG) and ALL of the verses came across with the same over the top urgency as the 3rd one does (Cus it grabs you and takes you into the world of the song), then I personally think this tune would be a radio ready hit and it's not often I say that.

Right now (even though i dig the tune) I can't help but admit the 1st two verses lack intensity and seem prefaced then followed by equally intensity lacking, overlong and samey parts which feel they exsist simply as a means of stringing themselves to the chrous.

It's like the greastest song that almost was, but still, it's not bad at all.
I'll check out the others when i get a chance.

:)

Thanks again Bill

I'm currently working on a revised mix with a focus on keeping a higher level of intensity throughout. I'll post as soon as I've got something.
Thanks so much for your specific insight on the arrangement.

Aaron

Back