Please keep me from blowing my brains out!!

tsphillips

Please keep me from cutting my throat.

I have Cakewalk 9.

There is a button that is the Update control values to automation.

It seems to be stuck. I have tried everything I can think of to update to the settings I want.

But it keeps reverting back to some previous setting where the levels are on full and the pan is incorrect.

I will set it the way I want it, but when I export to .wav or .mp3 it uses the previous, wrong, settings.

When I go back in and put them where I want them and hit save it does no good.

I have …

Pressed the Update button and then changed the levels and pan while the file was playing.

Pressed the Update button and then changed the levels and pan while the file was NOT playing.

Changed the levels and then pressed the Update bottom both when playing and when not.

I have tried every combination of making the change and using the Update button.

But no matter what I do, when I hit play and then hit the Update button it jumps back to the WRONG settings!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

This is not one song, it is ANY song. In fact it jumps back to the wrong settings the moment I press PLAY, only it does not look like it on the consol unless I hit the Update button, or click on a particular track, when it then reverts to the WRONG setting. In other words the visual does not revert but the soundtrack does, until I do something to the consol when it also updates visually.

HOW CAN I STOP THIS? HOW CAN I UPDATE MY SETTINGS SO THEY STAY WHERE I WANT THEM??????

Right now I have to paste into a new file every time I want to adjust levels. I don’t want to use a new file every time because I have to go in and set up all the tracks. I want to be able to do Save As on pre-existing files and use most of the settings. But it will not let me change levels and pans and update them so they STAY THAT WAY.

Please help before it is too late.

As they said to Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate, "I have one word for you. . . . envelopes!!!!"

STOP USING TRACK AUTOMATION AND USE VOLUME ENVELOPES INSTEAD. The Track Automation in PA9 was living hell. You will thank me a million times over for this advice.

BTW, I suspect your problem is that you have a snapshot enabled. When you rewind to start, the settings revert back to your snapshop.

Repeat after me, "I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. I will delete all automation and start over with volume envelopes. "

I couldn't agree more!

I struggled with automation for awhile before trying envelopes.

Now my whites are whiter, my colors come out brighter and my dishes are completely spot-free!

Seriously, I have 2 words for those trying to use automation, ENVELOPES RULE! :D :D :D

Earl

dachay2tnr said:
As they said to Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate, "I have one word for you. . . . envelopes!!!!"

I could have sworn it was plastics:p

I concur. It takes maybe five minutes to learn, if that. You will never go back.

Ever.

Never Ever.

djc said:
I think he blew his brain out.
You ain't pinning this on my head. I responded just as soon as I saw the post. I mean I'm allowed to have life too, you know. Where's moskus' culpability in all this? Huh? Guy just needed to be a little more patient.

And I still want to know what happens to his gear in cases like this.

Err... then again, he was using PA9 :D

dachay2tnr said:
STOP USING TRACK AUTOMATION AND USE VOLUME ENVELOPES INSTEAD. The Track Automation in PA9 was living hell. You will thank me a million times over for this advice.
Can I get an AMEN!

Thanks yall

Well I was about ready to pop so I was not as clear as I should have been.

So, what I really needed to do in this case and most cases is delete all automations so there are NONE and I can just set my levels.

I rarely have to change levels in the middle of a piece. I am recording solo acoustic guitar mainly. So all I need to do is set the levels and the pan, and some occasional reverb and that is it.

So HOW do I do a Save As on a file, and then kill off any preset snapshots or automation so there is none, and I can just set my new levels and save the file and that is that?

thanks again.

If I recall, in PA9 you usually ended up with an extra automation track. Start by deleting that if it exists.

I forget how to get rid of snapshots. Try your online help.

Also make sure there are no controller events within the tracks but only note events (select a track and do search by filter). Look in the event list, all events should be black rather than colored.

Back